PDA

View Full Version : When Do U Start Seeing The Benefits Of A Reguium

iannozzi
03/30/2006, 09:51 PM
Recently added a refugium-- 3 weeks ago--to date I see no beneficial results, the refug is brown with algae and the marco contained therein is growing i think, however there are very few pods etc, if any--is something wrong

chrismunn
03/30/2006, 09:53 PM
describe the refugium in detail.... flow rate, lighting, whats in it exactly? i had something else to add, but i have forgotten.....

omni2226
03/30/2006, 10:57 PM
Buy or take some rock rubble and throw it in there to give the pods a place to hide and breed.

Brandon's Reef
03/30/2006, 10:58 PM
you should start getting pods every where and my cheato took about 2 weeks then it just took off.

FroMan
03/31/2006, 11:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7079446#post7079446 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iannozzi
Recently added a refugium-- 3 weeks ago--to date I see no beneficial results, the refug is brown with algae and the marco contained therein is growing i think, however there are very few pods etc, if any--is something wrong

I saw benifits almost immediately. Most notably a major reduction in hair algae in my main tank. I've also noticed a reduction in the amount of algae forming on the glass in the tank.

My setup is a follows:

I added a 40L to my 55. I've estimated that I added about 25-30 gallons of water to the system. (Ignoring what is in the PVC pipes).

The sump is fed by a life reef overflow box. To ballance the system I had to put a ball valve in the drain to slightly reduce the flow, but I'd estimate I'm still in the 600-650 gal per hour flow rate.

This is split into two sections. The ref area (currently empty) and the skimmer section. Both sections flow into a central return area. 80-90% of the flow is going into the skimmer section.

I also added an ASM G3. This seems to be "skimming the snot" out of the tank.

The return is handled by a Mag 9.5 return pump. Again to ballance the system, I had to dial the pump back slightly.

In less than a week I saw a visable reduction in algae in the entire tank. I've had to start putting nori into the tank to feed my sailfin (algae) bleeny.

My bio load is as follows:
~20 various snails
~5-8 hermit crabs
1 yellow watchman goby
1 sailfin (algae ) blenny
2 clowns
1 cleaner shrimp
1 pepermint shrimp

Your pod population will tanke a while to grow. I've notced a marked increase in the number of pods after the lights go out. I can see some, but they are not as plentiful as they once were. Like everything, it takes time to build up a population.