PDA

View Full Version : Corner tank Refugium sump ideas

nealdo
03/31/2006, 12:14 AM
I am setting up an Oceanic 92 corner as a reef. I would like to build a sump that maximizes the use of space undeneath. Has anyone built a triangle shaped refuge sump? I am looking for ideas.

chem-e
03/31/2006, 12:42 AM
I once saw a guy put a 54 gal corner into his stand. That was a pretty nice design that maximized the space underneath his tank. Too bad the search function isn't working, otherwise, I'd paste the link here.

I haven't seen a triangular sump before, but I think it's a great idea.

DesertBandits
03/31/2006, 09:03 AM
couldnt you fit a pretty big square shape under there? A triangle just sounds like the worst shape for fitting a skimmer and dividing into a series of compartments.

nealdo
03/31/2006, 09:40 AM
I have a plan for dividing it already. I don't think it will be that difficult. I will try to post a ncrude sketch later as I have no co mputer modeling skills.

Whispre
03/31/2006, 10:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7081614#post7081614 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DesertBandits
couldnt you fit a pretty big square shape under there? A triangle just sounds like the worst shape for fitting a skimmer and dividing into a series of compartments.

not under a standard corner tank stand, they are pretty small inside. Thats why I built mine custom rather than get the standard stand.

nealdo
03/31/2006, 05:49 PM
I actually got the stand today. The space inside is small considering the overall size of the tank. The bracing in the front goes into the tank abut 6 inches. That severely couts dow on the usable space inside. I am going to plat aro8nd with it this weekend with cardboard mock-ups to test the usable dimensions.

nealdo
04/01/2006, 12:04 AM
Here is my rough sketch. The overall heigth will be 16 inches. The water starts in the corner, goes to the skimmer side only. Then thru to the front where the bubble trap is located. The return pump will bleed off some water to the fuge where it will flow back to the skimmer side. I plan on droping the water level 2 inches from corner to skimmer to bubble trap. The fuge will be 2 inches taller than the skimmer section. I plan on moving the bubble trap to the left a bit to have a larger reservoir in the return section. What did I do wrong? Ideas? Suggestions?

daddavis1
04/01/2006, 07:55 AM
nealdo, I feel your pain I've been working on 4 92's arranged in a circle for 4 years. You can help yourself out by building your own stand. The stardard design leaves alot to be desired.
Reef setups with a 92.
I've tried what your taking about and with a 92 you are restricted on flow and outflow. I'm overseas now but if I was stateside I'd be investigating Lengs refugium setup with Miracle mud. You just dont have the room for alot of equipment. And his system is pretty bare bones yet effective. At least from the articles I've read. However its not condusive for a main pump to drive all the circulation you would need to add power heads that produce the wide gentle currents corals normally experience.
Take care,

Dan