PDA

View Full Version : Fixing a cracked skimmer

ZiTi
03/31/2006, 09:30 AM
While I was cleaning my PM 626 skimmer it rolled off the counter and onto the floor. The acrylic around the output cracked and the base broke away from the tube. I put some weldon 16 on it and it seems to hold water. Should I trust the repair? I'm half tempted to build a new skimmer body for it, but thought I would ask before taking on that job.

Thanks,
Zach

Medicine Man
03/31/2006, 12:14 PM
I have an ETSS 600 that I broke the tower off of and used weldon 16 for that. As long as you let it sit for at least 24 hours after the weld on application it should be fine. Wet test it in the sink or tub first for leaks before reinstalling it. HTH

ZiTi
03/31/2006, 01:44 PM
Thanks! I think I will run it in a tub for a few days before putting it back on the tank. I'm not too worried about the tube to base seam as much as the cracks around the output fitting.

Medicine Man
03/31/2006, 04:44 PM
Oh, another suggestion. Don't clean your skimmer with hot water. It will make the seams that you glued together expand and come apart. I unfortunately know this first hand. If this happens though just glue it back together with the weld on. Good luck!

ZiTi
03/31/2006, 06:59 PM
Great tip! I usually clean with warm/hot water, but I will start using cold. Thanks again!