PDA

View Full Version : New Tank, curing LR, is my rock still alive?

bmallia82
03/31/2006, 02:10 PM
Ok, set up a 95 gallon reef tank. Added live Rock about 3 1/2 weeks ago. 150lbs. I have the protein skimmer up and running as well. I did a 35% water change 2 weeks after I set it up , and I am ready to do one this weekend as well. I will do about a 30 gallon water change.

Anything else I should be doing. Will there be anything alive on my rock when I am done w/ this process. I always hear how people find creatures on their rocks. I have not found anything yet. Any suggestions. Is my rock dead?

I am very new to this. Thanks guys

Avi
03/31/2006, 02:39 PM
It's probably just fine. I didn't do any water changes until my tank was fully cycled based on testing the water with reliable test kits. The skimmer should do it all, IMO. Anyway, if others have done it the way you're going, it should be fine.

Don't worry about not having seen any living things yet. The tank may not be fully cycled and so the life in the rock which includes everything from what will eventually appear as coraline algae, micro-algaes, worms, crabs, etc. doesn't show yet, it's all right. It will. I'm seeing things for the first time after more than two years now.

ken123
03/31/2006, 03:02 PM
I've had my rock since September, going on 7 months now. Within the last month I have have found bristle worms, very tiny starfish, some sort of tube worms in the sand with tiny feelers and some other stuff. Almost seeing something new weekly. Be patient, it will happen for you, this hobby is just about time and patience.

jdm01
03/31/2006, 03:23 PM
I have some rock that was not live when I bought it 5 months ago. Within the past couple of weeks I saw my first hints of coraline. Ken123 is right this is about patience and time. Don't forget the money - and unfortunately quite a bit of that.

sruiz
03/31/2006, 03:54 PM
I am going thru the same process, and my rock did not have any cool hitchhikers either. But I'm sure your rock is alive, as you know I'm sure you will see some die-off your rock.

ckoral
03/31/2006, 04:08 PM
I went through that same process and was sure everything was dead. It took a couple months before everything was in full bloom - teaming with life. Now things are great. I did a vat transfer during my curing and did find about 5 bristle worms on in the mulm at the bottom of the vat. Don't worry about the lack of bugs, they will come.

REEFKEEPA
03/31/2006, 05:13 PM
It will come to life. No problem.
sruiz ,
welcome to your Brooks future.
You better hope Tuiasusopo beats him out in training camp.