PDA

View Full Version : 384 watt PC fixture

Amy83820
03/31/2006, 03:22 PM
I found a 384 watt PC fixture for my 90 gallon tank (Orbit, fan cooled, 4 lunar lights, 4-96 watt bulbs - dual daylight and dual actinic).
What type of corals would this let me have in the tank? I have low light soft corals (mushrooms, zoas, etc.). Is this enough light for them? I don't plan on getting anything requiring a tremendous amount of light.

Thanks!

smleee
03/31/2006, 03:28 PM
Light wise, as long as you have half of your 384W as daylight, you will be fine with softies and LPS (positioned at least halfway up the tank) and even some low-light SPS at the very top directly underneath the lights. It sounds as if this is a used fixture, keep in mind PC bulbs only last about 6-9 months before you should change them out; most people end up waiting about a year though.

eee

Amy83820
03/31/2006, 04:12 PM
No...it's a new fixture. I was told that 260 watts would be enough to keep the low light corals at the top, so I was hoping this would be enough to lower them a bit.

HowardW
03/31/2006, 04:20 PM
A bit off subject.......I've read that the whole thing with PC bulbs is they MUST be positioned close to the water surface for their full effect, no more than 3-6", and anything above 10" or so they just become asthetic lights.

smleee
03/31/2006, 04:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7084385#post7084385 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Amy83820
No...it's a new fixture. I was told that 260 watts would be enough to keep the low light corals at the top, so I was hoping this would be enough to lower them a bit.

Oh, ok then. You will be fine with most softies near the bottom; LPS will have to be halfway up or higher (PC's just don't penetrate that far down); and as mentioned a few low-light SPS at the very top.

Since you haven't bought it yet, you may want to research a bit on RC about T5's (just remember if you do go with T5's, get individual reflectors on a quality unit) and if you can get a comparable unit for close to the same price, you'll be able to keep your LPS at the bottom with SPS being able to go lower also.

eee

Amy83820
03/31/2006, 05:24 PM
eee-

I've been pricing both PC and T5 fixtures. I've been able to find T5's comprible in price to the PC, but they aren't the ones' with the individual reflectors....those are a bit higher. Thanks for your help, tho! I've been trying to find someone who can tell me how far down in the tank that many watts will be effective.
People keep encouraging me to go the MH route, but it's just more than I need. Plus, i know i might need to invest in a chiller if the MH's are too hot and calcium reactor if i start really getting into the corals. At that point, it's more work than fun for me! I just want to enjoy a healthy tank... i am *not* technical minded and the thought of all that equipment stresses me out a bit!

smleee
04/01/2006, 11:10 AM
Glad to hear you know about the individual reflectors. ;) It sounds like the fixture you mentioned will suit your needs well. I've been using PC's for 5 years now and those are my recommendations for coral type/placement.

eeee