PDA

View Full Version : help wiring dual stage ranco

55kfog
03/31/2006, 06:07 PM
Does anyone have (or has anyone seen online) any pics of the wiring for a dual stage ranco controller?

I found this thread and description that seems pretty good:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=177449&highlight=wiring+ranco+dual

but I was just hoping to see some pics too.

I have the dual stage 110v model, but with the beefier 4x casing (if that even matters at all).

Thanks for the help.

I am looking to wire up one dual socket cord and a regular one socket cord (so there are 3 sockets total) and one plug for the wall.

55kfog
04/01/2006, 10:52 AM
So, I've stripped a couple extra 16 gauge ext cords that I had, and realize the description in the above post doesn't mention a good solution for the ground.

I know this is basic, but what have other people ground to? Or do you use lower gauge wire- seems like that would be ok for a heater for one socket and a couple fans on the other. Thanks

AcroSteve
04/02/2006, 05:17 AM
Here is a cut and past of an email I sent about a single stage. It may help.

First, get an indoor/outdoor extension cord and figure out how long you want the cords to be coming out of the ranco. 14ga should be fine. Then cut the two ends off of the ext cord (This is usually cheaper and easier than getting cord and separate ends. Additionally, it maintains the proper hot,neutral and ground orientation of the plug). One end will plug into the wall, and the other will be what you plug the heater(or whatever) into.

Anyway, stick both of the cut ends into the hole in the bottom of the ranco. Zip tie them together about 4 or 5 inches from the end. Use large zip ties, so that they cannot be pulled back out of the hole. Now, strip the outer covering of the ext cord back to the zip ties. I do not think the ranco has a ground connection, so connect the two green ground wires together with a wire nut or crimp connector. The white wires will also need to be tied together, but you will need to also connect the wire to the proper terminal of the ranco. If I remember right, there is a small terminal strip. You could stick both of the white wires in the terminal and tighten it down. Now, the black hot wire coming from the male plug will need to be connected to the ranco. But before you tighten the terminal down, you will need an additional short piece of black wire to run from this terminal over to the output relay in the ranco. This will be hooked to the “C” common terminal on the output relay. The remaining black wire from the female plug can then be connected to the “NO” normally open terminal on the output relay.

That’s it, in the simplest terms. The output will be on when the ranco says it will be on. The output relay may have a “NC” normally closed terminal also. This could be used with an additional female plug so that whatever was plugged into it was on until the ranco turned the other output on. Then the NC output would be off.