PDA

View Full Version : MJ Stream on wavemaker

Horace
03/31/2006, 09:36 PM
Ok guys, I know some of you have used these on a wavemaker. My question is, is it worth it? Do these things make a ton of noise every time they switch on/off? I was considering getting one of those cheap wave makers from premium and seeing how it would work with two of these on opposite sides of the tank. Otherwise I think Im going to just try and put one of these on that DIY sea swirl....

Horace
04/01/2006, 01:28 PM
Noone has any input???

exmt
04/01/2006, 01:42 PM
As long as the rotor aligns properly, there should be no noise.

This is an affoardable wavemaker:
http://bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22579;category_id=2957

wbeavers
04/01/2006, 01:52 PM
If people are looking to do this here is a good deal on three maxijets and a wavemaker.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12061&N=2004+2032+113782

jcarrara
04/01/2006, 02:29 PM
I don't have one...yet...But I read alot of good things about this "chauvet" wave maker.

http://www.chauvetlighting.com/system/fixtures/sf4005.html

Its actually used in the DJ industry but from what I know it works very very well and is extremely cheap....about 30 bucks. I plan on getting one in the next couple of weeks. Do a serch on RC for chavet...you'll find alot of posts.

John

Mr Bojangles
04/02/2006, 01:48 PM
well the problem with them is not only the noise, but the stess you will be putting on the prop will eventualy cause it to fail. You can use the wave maker on the other maxi mod where you cut the nosile off and then drill holes and it will alternate back and forth.

Horace
04/02/2006, 03:40 PM
Props are cheap and this mod is easy as hell to make... if the props last a while I think its well worth it so long as its not super noisy to do it that way.

Mr Bojangles
04/02/2006, 03:59 PM
well the noise is all in how well its made. I have 2, one is noisier thean the other, and no mater how easy it is to do, its a PIA to take the whole thing out and replace the prop shaft IMO.

hahnmeister
04/03/2006, 12:57 AM
I have the same concern. It seems to me that after a few thousand cycles, the props will get pretty banged up, even the harder Octuras...as they hit the stop every startup.

I decided that a moving powerhead mount was a better option. Less wear and tear on the pump, and rather than a fixed output direction that goes on/off for only 50% flow, it gives you 100% flow all the time but in varying direction...much better option IMO to get the most out of a pump.

IF you dont want to DIY this as well, I have seen SEIOs zip-tied to the output of a Sea-Swirl, and that new Wavy-Sea has a rotating powerhead mount as one of its options. Otherwise, with a small timing motor, the rotating mount is a great DIY option.

hmott
04/03/2006, 06:53 AM
My plan is to do both. It will be several months before I have may tank up and running but I'll try and remember to report back. I want to have a long duration timer with the swirl, heck I may just use $5 15min increment timers to power mine. I'm going to setup 2 on swirls and timers and 2 on timers only. Thats my plan at this point anyway.

kevensquint
04/03/2006, 09:44 AM
I use the un-modified MJ's on a redsea wavemaker. I can't begin to say how dissapointed I am with that set-up. Some pumps make a loud noise when they start up (new pumps!, not dirty old ones), besides that I have had to replace 3 out of the 4 within a year. Overall, the wavemaker in question is way overpriced and the MJ's eventhough inexpensive have to be changed too often. Save up and get a tunze or sea-swirl, it will prolly be cheaper in the long run.

mburnickas
04/03/2006, 10:49 AM
The MJ will "click" when they turn on/off unless do fix the soft start feature. It is very easy to do and has come up on this forum many times.

ostrow
04/21/2006, 10:35 AM
I'm gonna mount two MJ stream mods on Sea swirls (currently have a Tunze 6060 on one see www.ostrows.us).

I have the Chauvet ready to go when I get the mods from another RC-er. I think I'll set the chauvet at about 3min - 5 min intervals. And have the whole thing on a timer so that they are on from about 9am to 9pm.

I was going to have it at 1min intervals. Reading this I'm thinking 3-5min.

But I may punt on it altogether and just let them swirl. This thread has me worried about the longevity now...

hahnmeister
04/21/2006, 09:38 PM
A oscillating output means more flow (pump is on 100% of the time, not 50%), and across more of the tank (not a stationary position, but a moving output). This combined with less wear & tear means...swirler stein for me!!!

That new WavySea (RC sponsor) device is made to be a rotating powerhead mount as well (they even have a mount coming out for the Tunzes). You might want to check that out if you want a ready-made solution.

ostrow
04/22/2006, 07:21 PM
Already have rigged a tunze to a swirl www.ostrows.us

Want to have the MJ Streams on swirls AND switching on and off.

ostrow
05/09/2006, 05:49 PM
Maxijet Stream Swirls

Check out my website for video of my newly-configured tank. Put MJ1200 Streams on Sea-Swirls, had to re-scape to fit the one on the SPS side and cut back the flow from the return a bit.

Swirls on 24/7. MJ Streams on a Chauvet Timer, timer mode, switching every 12min or so. MJs off from midnight to 7am.

I'm loving it. Corals are loving it.

Camera picked up the actinic blue more than the eye ... the tank looks much more white than this. But you get the idea. Closeups of the Swirl-to-MJ Stream mounting also there.

www.ostrows.us

Enjoy!

ostrow
05/13/2006, 05:34 PM
website now fixed, better host! www.ostrows.us

kabal2
05/14/2006, 08:44 AM
i had to maxi mods, and i put them in a wavemaker, and they make a lot of noise and for the stress put on them going on and off, they go of center and then stop working all toguether, jmho

ejmeier
05/14/2006, 01:59 PM
You guys need to keep a closer eye on the MJ mod thread. :D

quangtam7 posted about his silent reverse spin stop on the other thread. I never got around to trying it myself, but it is located down on the base of the MJ mod, not the propeller.

http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/UpLoAdS/mjmod4_116.jpg

Again, not my own, but just thought I'd give the link to this other stopper, as it is relevant to this thread.
http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=18901