PDA

View Full Version : Flow in a Nano

BillbMaine
04/01/2006, 10:44 PM
I have a Fluval 304 for a filter which is pretty hefty (in my own opinion) for a filter and flow in my new 10 gallon. I also have a Maxi-jet (600) running for circulation. I tried a 1200 Maxi and it was just blowing up to much to use.

I would like to experiment with some type of fluxtuating current without storming the tank. My thoughts are maybe 2 400's on 15 minute timers alternating, or maybe splitting a 1200 (and I'll need a link to get ideas if you have one) and crisscross the currents.

Right now I have both the Fluval and the Maxi running high in the tank, because when I point them down I always get some sort of undesirable blowing of the sand. I don't have a fuge, or a skimmer, so I feel it's also important to run somthing breaking the surface water for oxygenation and movement.

Flow and circulation seemed a bit easier in a larger tank, but I'd like to stay away from filling such a small tank up with ugly and ill placed equipment to achieve my goals.

In my past, larger tank my shrooms etc. liked slow flow, but I'm thinking running a decent alternating flow will really be a great help (from my reading) and I really don't want dead spots,...it's just finding that happy medium and how to achieve it that will be my next challange...

Thanks for your input.

Bill

tripstank
04/02/2006, 12:12 AM
In my 10 Gal, I have to two maxi Jet 400s running on a Current Sea Wavemaker (ebay). I love it, and so do my corals.