PDA

View Full Version : Carpet with a pair of clowns in a 30

rudyistaken
04/02/2006, 07:29 AM
In a 30 gallon oceanic would these guys do o.k. under pc lighting? I have a 96 watt quad retrofit I was going to use

aquadog
04/02/2006, 12:23 PM
Maybe for a while but not long term. Lighting will not be the only issue...
I would not do it...

rudyistaken
04/02/2006, 09:57 PM
Hi Aquadog. Thanks for the info, but can you explain?

BangkokMatt
04/02/2006, 11:20 PM
The clowns will be fine but the anemone will need a lot more light. I would recommend getting at least 150 watts in there otherwise the anemones internal algae will not produce successfully and the anemone will deteriorate. Good luck.

Stephany
04/03/2006, 11:44 AM
That anemone will get too large for the tank. I know an experienced local reefer that tried it, it crashed the tank. He also had a metal halide on it.

isseym328
04/03/2006, 01:49 PM
It's doable. I know people with a couple clowns in their 12g tanks with anemone. However they have the smaller clowns and anemones that needs a little less light. Carpets definitly do better under mh but I believe rbta and lta's can fare ok under pc's. also what type of clown are you thinking about getting? Some clowns get bigger than others...but i think in a 30g you can probably purcahse any type of clown. Most important thing is to keep the water clean. Greater risk of tank crash with smaller tanks. If you only have two clowns and an anemone in there and not too much other bioload it should be fine.

isseym328
04/03/2006, 01:52 PM
Oh yeah with that said I'm planning on starting up a 20g tank with a pair of clowns and a rose anemone. Not the safest way to keep a pair of clowns but I will have 120 watts of pc and a skimmer rated for 75g on it. There will be nothing else in the tank besides some sand and live rock for natural filtration.