PDA

View Full Version : canister or HOB for running carbon?

fambrough
04/02/2006, 11:11 AM
My 40 is sumpless and I want to run carbon for water polishing. Should I buy a canister filter or can I save money by getting a HOB filter, take out the bio-wheel and just use carbon?

And if recommending either of the two, can you please recommend a specific model?

TIA,
Ben

bertoni
04/02/2006, 02:31 PM
Either way should work, but the HOB should be easier to maintain. I don't know anything about HOB filters, though, since I use a PhosBan reactor.

BadOleRoss
04/02/2006, 02:38 PM
I un an HOB once a month with carbon to polishthings up. The magnum HOB is a nice filter. I currently have 3 of them.

gtriamy
04/02/2006, 02:44 PM
all the HOB filters i've had put microbubbles back into the tank, but other than that, HOB and canisters are doing the same thing; forcing water through media.

WaterKeeper
04/02/2006, 02:49 PM
You'll usually get better flow rates with the canister over the open top type HOB. Either will do but the canister can be used to run other media and is great for polishing the water.

Sk8r
04/02/2006, 04:12 PM
I hate to tell you this, but I bought a 5.00 pack of women's knee-high hose and fill the toe of one with carbon, hang it over the side of the sump and leave it until expired. I then toss it and fix another one.

Ti
04/02/2006, 04:58 PM
I would use a canister, but that would work too.

chip721
04/02/2006, 07:18 PM
I run GAC in a Magnum canister on my sumpless tank. IMO it was fairly inexpensive, comes equipped with a media basket for GAC, as well as a re-useable 1 micron pleated filter for water polishing. You only run one or the other at a time. It also comes with an outer foam sleeve for the media basket, but I don't use it.

I've also dropped media bags of GAC in a HOB filter. It's simple and easier to maintain than a canister. But for the added flow and versatility , I prefer the Magnum.