PDA

View Full Version : Sequence DART External Pump questions

hipertec
04/02/2006, 01:35 PM
Hello. I am thinking about buying a Dart for my return...I have a 180 gallon and will be return will be going to 2 SQWDS and then each SQWD will then go to 2 LOCLINES with 2 "Y"s. Therefore there are a total of 8 return nozzles.
Do you think the DART will be good for my application?
My stand is 36" high and of coarse it will be down at my stand...how about the mounting? do i bolt it down to the stand or on a board?
Is the DART quiet where I cant hear it? My tank is in the living room.
thanks!

infrared69
04/02/2006, 03:22 PM
my dart is super quiet, my computer fan is about 5x louder

wife no likey
04/02/2006, 03:55 PM
I run 2 swcd's off of a Blue Line HD 100 (same as Iwaki 100 RLT) and I can safely say that the head introduced by the scwd's is pretty substantial. I would be afraid that if you were to go w/ a Dart it would dramatically slow if not kill the flow it's capable of.

Pete

hipertec
04/02/2006, 04:15 PM
Pete, do u think that the Dart would suffer on the output if hooked up to the swcd?

wife no likey
04/02/2006, 04:30 PM
Yes, I am actually planning on migrating to a Dart, but will also swap out the scwd's for 2 Oceans Motions Squirts. The Dart stops flowing at 10' of head, and I guess that a scwd adds about 4' itself.

I have additionally bored out the in/outlets on both of mine to .5" and feed them with .75" pvc.

The main reason that I went with the setup I did was that I got the Blue Line cheap ($150) and previously had 1 of the scwd's.

I guess that it comes down to whether you want to accomplish it via brawn (the high head pressure pump + scwd) or the eloquent, slightly more expensive way (Dart w/ OM Squirt(s) or SS) :)

Pete

xtrstangx
04/02/2006, 05:37 PM
1. The Dart is a flow pump. It is best suited for closed loops, not return pumps, IMO.
2. Plan on each SCWD reducing the flow 50%.. So you are looking at 1400 GPH (at BEST) going into each SCWD. So you are only going to get about 700 GPH out of each SCWD. IMO, kinda of a waste of money.

I would go with a GenX Mak5, Iwaki 70RLT, or another similar pump being run through an Oceans Motions Squirt or Super Squirt.
http://oceansmotions.com

Some people prefer a lower flow, so even a GenX Mak4 would be plenty, IMO. I'm using one on my new setup and it has 13' of head on it (they are much better suited to handle pressure than a Dart)

hipertec
04/02/2006, 05:55 PM
how about a baraccuda pump? do you think this would be better? I think it would be too much flow thou...

wife no likey
04/02/2006, 06:03 PM
go w/ the Dart and and a OM 4-way. You'll be able to run the pump wide open and will save a good amount of energy.

If this is going to be main source of movement in a 180, 4500 ghp gives you 30x turnover though.

Maybe a hammerhead split into one 4-way and then some .75" oulets down low in the back of the tank??

infrared69
04/02/2006, 06:25 PM
i bought a dart and a 4-way for my 95. cl should give me 35x plus my return pump for another 10x. starting the plumbing tonight.

3.99AfterTaxes
04/02/2006, 06:43 PM
Hammerheads eat HUGE energy and are bothersomely noisy when compared to Darts though...

infrared69
04/02/2006, 06:54 PM
darts seem to be the CL pump of choice, from what i read. thats why i bought one.

hipertec
04/03/2006, 01:05 AM
penci..what do u mean by "If this is going to be main source of movement in a 180, 4500 ghp gives you 30x turnover though."
I will also have a Seio 1100 in the tank...
but remember I will have 8 loctite flare nozzles pointing in all different direction...do u think this is good?
Do you think that the dart would be good enough?
I also have a trapazoid overflow going down to 1.5" bulkhead..enough flow for the dart?
Infrared69? is the dart your return pump? how are u hooking it up from the sump?

monkeyreefer
04/03/2006, 06:15 AM
i use a dart for a cl and a return pump, and both needed to be throttled back. i agree on not running them on a scwd as they cut the flow some, but it has been done before. jaimwolfe on here does exactly what you are talking about with his dart return pump.

infrared69
04/03/2006, 08:48 AM
my dart is for my CL only. i have a 55g sump in the basement with a mag 18 for my return.

hipertec
04/03/2006, 10:17 AM
money, how do u use a Dart for the return and close loop? I thought the CL has to be drawn from inside the tank so do u have 2 inlets? one from the sump and the other from the tank?
Would a Dart be a good choice for the return pump?

murphreef
04/03/2006, 07:24 PM
i think a dart would be too much for a return pump

like said before its meant for a CL and more for flow

on my 180 i have the Dart running my Oceans Motion 4 way version 3 works great its fully opened up and provided lots of flow to the tank and the sps love it

the Dart is super quite i can barely even hear it and my tank is in my front room also a very good pump for the money but use it as a CL pump

as for my sump return i run a pan world 100px-x which does like 1200gph and thats even too much i have it throttled down about 30% im lookin for a diffrent pump that one is very loud compared to the dart

i dont know about your overflow box but mine only does about 800gph in my 180 and u cant really do anythign more than that unless u do a mod so get a pump that your overflow box can handle or else its a waste ull empty your sump before the water can fall back into it