PDA

View Full Version : I do believe I have been stung...

Spider_Whistle
04/02/2006, 03:01 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe something stung my while cleaning my tank yesterday. I've had tanks for years, and never had a problem like this, and now it's happened twice in the past month. I was scraping the glass, and all of the sudden felt a strong burning sensation on my arm. It started out as a dime sized red spot, and has now turned into a swollen patch of skin about the size of a quarter. It's a mixture of itching and pain, and has a weird almost bumpy feel (the last one was covered with what almost looked like tiny whiteheads). And while I can't be totally certain, I really don't think I actually came in direct contact with anything in the tank...

Here's what we're talkin' about:
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/20855Sting-_1-small.jpg

The tank currently has the following inhabitants:
regal tang
maroon clown
blue damsel
scopas tang
pistol shrimp
tons of nasarious snails (spelling?)
Xenia
toadies
several varieties of GSP
some random polyps
Green Zoos
long tentacle anemone
a clam I got from Whole Foods hehe
and some little disc anemones

The newest additions are the long tentacle and the clam. I'm turning a suspicious eye toward them.

Any ideas what might have caused it, or better yet how to make it go away? The last one took a couple of weeks to quit bugging me, though the mark is still there. This one is definitely bigger than the last, and hurts a lot more, and so far, neither Benadryl cream or pills have seemed to help.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers~

nautilus808
04/02/2006, 03:03 PM
I had that happen to my arms many years ago when using artificial sea water. I thought my skin was allergic to the saltwater. I switched to natural sea water and now never have that problem

ste6168
04/02/2006, 03:22 PM
maybe the anemone.

Anywa i really wanted to ask what you meant by "A clam i got from whole foods"

mike

bureau13
04/02/2006, 03:47 PM
Given where most people put their clams and anemones, how on earth could you get your elbow down there?

It actually reminds me of some "sea lice" stings I got scuba diving in the keys a few times...very annoying. I think they're really jelly fish larvae, but I'm not sure...however I can't imagine you have any of those floating about in your tank!

jds

Spider_Whistle
04/02/2006, 08:24 PM
nautilus808: Hopefully that's not the case, cause I don't believe I'd have much luck finding natural sea water in Colorado.

I figured the clam question would come up pretty quick lol.
I was at Whole Foods a few months ago and saw the display of clams on ice. I've always been curious as to whether they can be kept in a reef tank, so I decided to give it a try. It was pretty entertaining watching it bury itself, though all I see now is its mouth on the surface of the sand. I heard that the water temp would be a problem, but it's been about 4 months, and it looks to be doing very well. ;)

Regarding the placement of the anemone or clam, it would certainly be a problem to touch either of them with my elbow, that's why I'm wondering if something may have ejected some type of toxin. Could it maybe be the snails? They're the only thing I might have actually brushed against.

Thanks for the input.

Anyone else?

Kinetic
04/02/2006, 08:40 PM
definately wear gloves either way =/

EricBrian
04/02/2006, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I bought the full length gloves. Got them on ebay. Get them, they are 50 for 5 bucks. :)

Oh, this is my 100th post! :D

Spider_Whistle
04/02/2006, 08:54 PM
I used to wear the full length gloves, but they were so thick all dexterity went out the window, and they were always getting holes. I still wear normal gloves, but they didn't save me this time.

Kinetic
04/02/2006, 08:56 PM
Tunze makes those thin plastic gloves that are thin so you still can feel and aren't bulky. marinedepot has them for $6 for 10.

Sk8r
04/02/2006, 09:38 PM
A. for a marine sting, apply hot water compresses: found this one the other evening in the catfish-puncture incident.
B. It looks as if you're getting sensitized, maybe more reactive bite by bite, and I'd definitely recommend over the elbow gloves. They're a pain, but the alternative isn't good either: increasing reactions. I've personally seen that one in action, on, of all people, an lfs owner.

Spider_Whistle
04/03/2006, 07:44 PM
EricBrian: what did you search for to find those gloves on eBay? I'm coming up with single pairs for $15+, but I think those are geared more toward S&M than any practical use. :lol:
I might have to just go for the ones from marine depot (thanks koden).

Thanks for the info everyone, the hot water did seem to help a bit, probably would have been more effective had I tried it immediately. Live and learn.

Cheers~

EricBrian
04/03/2006, 08:19 PM
spider,

here is the link to the guy's ebay store:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZdjtinmanQQhtZ-1

I've used these and find that they are acceptable. Not too much sensory loss.

Andy O
04/03/2006, 08:56 PM
Could it be the salt that you are using although not sure that if it was it would be isolated like that. I have heard of people saying that IO makes them break out.

omni2226
04/03/2006, 09:04 PM
Possibly free floating nemocytes from the anemone. It may be engaging in chemical warfare "claiming" its space and a stinger got ya.

Spider_Whistle
04/03/2006, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the link, I'll have to grab some of those gloves, that's a great price!

I've heard that about IO too, but yeah, being isolated the way it is, it's kinda strange.

The anemone has been my prime suspect all along, little bugger must have some good aim, this assult was not 2" away from the last one. There will not be a third time. lol

davocean
04/04/2006, 02:46 PM
I have an LTA , touched it many times w/ no problem.
I do react to IO, but it looks more like a rash on me.
You say it's close to a previous "sting"
Could there be a bur or something on your tank or a rock poking you?

TheSTONEisDead
04/04/2006, 03:01 PM
I want to go off this thread since it's already about stings and what not, but every time I work in my tank I get tiny, clear, fiberglass like spines stuck all in my fingers. Sometimes I can get around thirty of them that I have to sit there and remove with tweezers.

Does anyone else have this problem, or identify the culprit?

larac
04/04/2006, 03:08 PM
I was stung last month by a mini carpet anemone (about the size of a Ric) that I had even forgotten was in my tank. I have never gotten a sting from my RBTA, so I was a little over confident working in my tank, and then....yeeeeouch! :eek2:

Only thing you can do is use hydrogen peroxide to clean it and use some kind of burn cream.

fittdog8848
04/04/2006, 03:09 PM
sounds like bristle worms to me.....Are you diggin around in the sand? or moving any rocks?

Johnsteph10
04/04/2006, 03:21 PM
Warm compresses to the area.

Take Benedryl 50mg (2 tablets) by mouth every 6-8 for a day. Check to see how the reaction is changing after that. Do not apply hydrocortisone cream to the area. The bendryl will make you drowsy to don't take it if you plan to drive or operate heavy machinery. You can apply topical antibiotic ointment to the area if you want.

It is likely an allergic reaction to something your rubbed your elbow on/against. It is very likely that you have become sensitized to something in your tank. Each exposure will likely worsen your reaction.

I would recommend gloves. :)

Mrs.kbmdale
04/04/2006, 03:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7110634#post7110634 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TheSTONEisDead
I want to go off this thread since it's already about stings and what not, but every time I work in my tank I get tiny, clear, fiberglass like spines stuck all in my fingers. Sometimes I can get around thirty of them that I have to sit there and remove with tweezers.

Does anyone else have this problem, or identify the culprit?

That's sounds like bristle worms to me! Either way, use the Elmer's glue trick. Just spread a thin layer over the affected area, let dry, then repeat. Let both layers dry real good then just peel it off in a sheet, and voila! You might miss a few and have to repeat, but it's a LOT easier than using tweezers :lol:

As for the original poster, is there a possibility that you already had an open wound or some such that may have gotten just a bit infected?? If not, I haven't got a clue but keeping Benadryl is always a good thing and hot compresses as you found out, work best IMMEDIATLY.

Good Luck and Happy Reefing,
Brianna:rollface:

TheSTONEisDead
04/04/2006, 03:49 PM
Thanks to everyone who helped me out. I was pretty sure it was bristle worms. I have them all over, and some are huge.

davidryder
04/04/2006, 03:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7110694#post7110694 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by larac
I was stung last month by a mini carpet anemone (about the size of a Ric) that I had even forgotten was in my tank. I have never gotten a sting from my RBTA, so I was a little over confident working in my tank, and then....yeeeeouch! :eek2:

Only thing you can do is use hydrogen peroxide to clean it and use some kind of burn cream.

everytime i clean the live rock bin this happens to me... i think it's from the rocks because we don't have anything but rocks in these tubs. anyway, i can't avoid them and they are sooo annoying!!

davidryder
04/04/2006, 03:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7110820#post7110820 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mrs.kbmdale
That's sounds like bristle worms to me! Either way, use the Elmer's glue trick. Just spread a thin layer over the affected area, let dry, then repeat. Let both layers dry real good then just peel it off in a sheet, and voila! You might miss a few and have to repeat, but it's a LOT easier than using tweezers :lol:

As for the original poster, is there a possibility that you already had an open wound or some such that may have gotten just a bit infected?? If not, I haven't got a clue but keeping Benadryl is always a good thing and hot compresses as you found out, work best IMMEDIATLY.

Good Luck and Happy Reefing,
Brianna:rollface:

we don't have any bristle worms in those tubs... the setups are over a year old but the water is practically sterile