PDA

View Full Version : Did everyone make it through the storm?

MayoBoy
04/02/2006, 04:53 PM
My wife freaked and took the kids downstairs but nothing happened here. We had one burst of wind and a little rain squall but that was it. Everyone wasn't as lucky though - I have an inverter if anyone needs to borrow it. I think it's 100 or 150 watts.

Markk96
04/02/2006, 04:55 PM
We made it, but it got nasty, lots of hail, some damage to the house I think.

Baron
04/02/2006, 05:03 PM
Pretty windy for a little bit just enough to blow a trash can over and spread out some trash around the place but we are all good.

MayoBoy
04/02/2006, 05:05 PM
I have some raccoons that do the same thing if you ever want to "borrow" them...

Of course, in retrospect people with no power can't read this so the entire post is kind of pointless.

chadscamaro
04/02/2006, 05:25 PM
Store is running on a generator ! Hopefully I get power soon !

MayoBoy
04/02/2006, 06:05 PM
Let me know if you need the inverter.

geoxman
04/02/2006, 06:10 PM
STL city is fine, not much rain or hail. As I was running to catch my patio umbrella that was blowing in the wind and I slipped and the fall caused me to bite about an 8th of my tongue off. The bleeding is slowing with salt water soaks. Hurts like a MF but the tank is OK. No pwer out here-only for a minute or so

chadscamaro
04/02/2006, 06:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7097133#post7097133 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by geoxman
STL city is fine, not much rain or hail. As I was running to catch my patio umbrella that was blowing in the wind and I slipped and the fall caused me to bite about an 8th of my tongue off. The bleeding is slowing with salt water soaks. Hurts like a MF but the tank is OK. No pwer out here-only for a minute or so

YOUCH !!!!!!!!!!!!

geoxman
04/02/2006, 06:23 PM
it is swelling but not bleeding anymore. My wife wants me to go to the ER but I dont think they can stitch a tongue. I have also been swishing hydrogen peroxide. YOUCH is correct. Is the store OK do you need any help
PL

jeffo65
04/02/2006, 06:38 PM
No power loss and very light rain and wind. I did not even lose the satellite. It went right around us.

vishboy
04/02/2006, 06:40 PM
The wind ripped off one of our gutter guards, but everything else is okay. My tank si so small that I put it on a computer back-up battery a while ago, and it should run circulation and skimmer for almost an hour. But I didn't need it, because we lost power only twice for about 30 seconds each.

chadscamaro
04/02/2006, 06:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7097224#post7097224 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by geoxman
it is swelling but not bleeding anymore. My wife wants me to go to the ER but I dont think they can stitch a tongue. I have also been swishing hydrogen peroxide. YOUCH is correct. Is the store OK do you need any help
PL
So far store is good,but no power yet ! Getting dark outside,sure could use some light ! LOL !

DrBDC
04/02/2006, 06:49 PM
I had a 6 ft section of fence come off the posts but it's just q 4 screw repair. A bunch of fences down on Baxter and there was a piece of someone's aluminum siding in my front yard. I leaned it on the mailbox and I guess they recovered it. One neighbor had a huge tree down over their driveway. My parents had a section of about 4X20 of siding come off the side away from the wind, I guess from a vacuum as the wind raced by. Another neighbor had a 30 ft cedar that now is leaning about 30 degrees with the root ball pulled up on the side.

Chelsey
04/02/2006, 07:12 PM
Coolest thing I saw (cool because it didn't affect me) was one of those huge billboards with the steel pipe for a stand bent over in half, completely touching the ground. I was going to take a pic but I was kinda driving.

MayoBoy
04/02/2006, 07:33 PM
Another cool thing - about an hour after the big storm, another shower hit and the rain terminator line ran right across our backyard. The grass got soaked but the driveway stayed dry. My wife went outside and stood on the driveway, dry as a bone. She stuck her arm out over the grass and it came back soaked. You could see the line run down our yard, and through the neighbors. Freak-kay.

Shooter7
04/02/2006, 07:38 PM
You really need to lay off the beer, Steve. ;)

chadscamaro
04/02/2006, 07:51 PM
I have P O W E R ! Now I can go home !

MayoBoy
04/02/2006, 08:17 PM
No, really it happened. But then the bugs started crawling out of the outlets again so I had to go and hide in the basement (with my 2 year supply of pickling lime that I bought in Troy last weekend :D)

tetra9999
04/02/2006, 08:26 PM
ive been in a snow shower like that before.. you could stand in the snow and then walk 10 feet and not be in the snow.

The storm blew part of the roof off at the school across the street here and all the insulation went flying over here

Kathy55g
04/02/2006, 09:41 PM
I slept through the whole thing. Jet lag will do it to ya.

Still have the backup bubblers attached to all tanks from my trip preparation, so all is still well, and we did not loose power here anyway, I think. zzzzzzzzzzz

Vishboy, when did you get a UPS? I have some RODI for ya.

Kathy55g
04/02/2006, 09:42 PM
by the way, Vishboy took excellent care of my baby clownfish while I was gone. Great job.

gbecker
04/02/2006, 09:51 PM
I have been without power since 3 pm. Been running 2 maxi jets on battery since 9 pm. I've got three marine batteries. Hope they get the power back on before they run out!

toungetwster
04/02/2006, 11:00 PM
Tank is fine; lost power for just a few seconds twice. Sure glad I put the extra hole in my return line...LOL. First time it had to work on its own. (All previous times were tests to insure that it would work). I'm off Becker in Oakville; my neighbor lost about 8 ft. of a wooden fence; other than that; everything looks ok!

TWINPEAKS
04/03/2006, 12:24 AM
lost power about 5:00 had to run to wally world and get a inverter,hooked it to the car and ran the main pumps for almost 2 hours just got power back around 12:30.Everything seems to have maid it.

hckycoz
04/03/2006, 01:26 AM
Me and my girlfriend were eating at red lobster in Fairview and saw the tornado rip through the mall and the clothing store.

Shooter7
04/03/2006, 04:06 AM
You guys SAW the damage happening? Man, that place is just across the highway from where the main damage happened. I think I would have had my head under the table or something. Did they have anything for you guys to do at the restaraunt in terms of providing shelter? Places like that I'd be afraid of the windows blowing in and glass shards flying everywhere.

nique6996
04/03/2006, 06:16 AM
McKendree College is completely trashed! Huges trees down everywhere, no power, even my brothers dorm/apartments sustained pretty heavy damage. 3 of the main buildings had major roof damage. The other half of the 3rd floor apartment colapsed down to the 2nd. (He stays on the half that was still on the 3rd floor.) He couldn't get in, structurally not sound. Amazingly no one was hurt - not even his little goldfish! I am just happy we weren't there. It's too early in the season for this!!

hckycoz
04/03/2006, 12:33 PM
nope they said and did nothin, but the registers were down so i left with a free meal

rgpennell
04/03/2006, 02:18 PM
My power only went out for a few seconds so no problem there; however, my wife decided on Saturday that our basketball hoop, which had fallen down sometime ago, had to be put back up. She got it back up and put a bag of concrete on the base to keep it from falling again. Just in case you were curious, one bag of concrete is not heavy enough to keep a basketball backboard from being blown over during a storm. Also, a Honda windshield is not strong enough to withstand a basketball backboard landing on it during a storm - it is however tough enough to hold together and keep the rain from soaking the interior of the car. :lol:

Sometimes all you can do is laugh!

avgjoe
04/03/2006, 02:20 PM
For lunch I decided to swing by the K&G to see the damage. Looked like the entire power grid for the Fairview Height business district was out. Along the way, I rolled past Aquatic Treasures to find a portable generator rattling outside store and likely a very nervous Velko inside. I hope he makes it. I never made it to K&G due to all the road blocks, however I did see quite a bit of damage in that general vicinity. i.e. Windows blown out, lots of signs damaged, etc

hckycoz
04/03/2006, 02:22 PM
i work at the mall and will be swinging by tomorrow and see what happens

pewter_jean
04/03/2006, 03:50 PM
couple of area's in highland got hit pretty good. I thought we made it thru ok, until this morning. I work midnights and sleep in the day. So this morning I got off work, came home to watch the news and check out the damage. Then off to bed I went. about 45min later I hear banging right over my head. I figure no big deal, probly a few loose shingles, Then about an hour later, more banging and tearing stuff up. I got up when out side to see what the heck they were fixing up there. "I didn't have a hole in my wall or ceiling. Property management said that when they went up the fix a few loose shingles, they noticed the roof bowed. Had some guy come check it out. Appearently the wind lifted the roof up and broke some kind of support thing in side there. So now they got the take off the half the roof right above my apartment. They will be dueing this all day tomorrow. No sleep for a couple of days

gath2
04/04/2006, 08:01 AM
Power was restored at about Midnight at my house in Fairview Heights. I was without power for about 30 hours.

I ran the tank on some battery backups for the first couple of hours. Then managed to get a generator that I couldn't keep running for more than 30 minutes for the life of me. Tank was down to 73 for a few hours, because the heaters just use a ton of electricity and it takes a lot longer to warm the tank than to cool it off. I lost several SPS frags, but I believe most of my livestock will make it. I probably won't see the effects for a day or two.

I got the best 5 hours of sleep in my life after the power came on last night. They still have lincoln highway blocked off and some parts of Fairview don't have power. I'm not sure about aquatic treasures, but the street lights are still out in front of the mall. It looks pretty sporatic as far as power goes.

Chelsey
04/04/2006, 10:11 AM
I feel really bad for you guys :( For those of you that cannot afford/want to use a generator, could you use a UPS (Uninterrupted power supply) to power a few pumps or something? I know the UPS that I have on my computer can power that thing for a while, and a computer has to pull more juice than a pump...

chadfarmer
04/04/2006, 08:36 PM
power never went out in st charles

DrBDC
04/04/2006, 09:05 PM
Whoa, Hey Chad!

Mykayel
04/04/2006, 09:19 PM
I drove to Urbana/Chapaing and the store hit Rolla right before I left which caused hwy 44 to be a stand still for the first 1.5 hrs. After that there was smoth sailing and I followed the storm all the way up there, beautify lightning display. I saw at least 5 tractor trailers that were blown over on the roads on teh way up there.

graff71884
04/04/2006, 11:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7097584#post7097584 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chelsey
Coolest thing I saw (cool because it didn't affect me) was one of those huge billboards with the steel pipe for a stand bent over in half, completely touching the ground. I was going to take a pic but I was kinda driving.
Chelsey,
If its the same one, I saw the sign you are talking about on my drive back down to school the other day on 70. The sign didn't actually bend, there is a joint where 2 piece of steel come together and that is where it was broke.

graff71884
04/04/2006, 11:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7099165#post7099165 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by toungetwster
Tank is fine; lost power for just a few seconds twice. Sure glad I put the extra hole in my return line...LOL. First time it had to work on its own. (All previous times were tests to insure that it would work). I'm off Becker in Oakville; my neighbor lost about 8 ft. of a wooden fence; other than that; everything looks ok!
I am right off Becker as well, when I am home anyway. The wind was insane, but we didn't have any damage or anything. I opted out of driving back to school Sunday because of the storms. Took one more day off of school, and drove back Monday!:) Funny thing is, I opted out of class today (Tues.) also. I guess I really should go back......eventually!

TWINPEAKS
04/04/2006, 11:36 PM
from what I understand VELCO is still without power.

vishboy
04/05/2006, 03:18 PM
Chelsey, I use a UPS on my tank (2 MJ 900 and 1 MJ 1200) and it is supposed to run for a little over an hour. And this is a pretty small battery. So if you don't have t much power draw you could use one.

Chelsey
04/05/2006, 04:20 PM
Well guys, it looks like round two of the storms is going to hit tomorrow :( I just watched the news, and in columbia at least they're anticipating hail and high winds. As of right now there is a moderate risk for severe weather, but they think it will get worse. Hopefully the storms will weaken some by the time they get to the STL area.