PDA

View Full Version : T5 info

gudgreef
04/02/2006, 10:02 PM
Got the go ahead from the boss to set up a second 90. I didn't want to go MH on this one for a variety of reasons but have no experience with T5's. I have seen a couple gorgeous SPS tanks on RC with them and was amazed. Any advice on what to look for-what combination or configuration-will be greatly appreciated. I will be building a canopy if that bit of info helps. This will be a 'mixed reef' tank, some SPS but more LPS and softies I think.
thanks
tom

CodeBlue
04/02/2006, 10:12 PM
I have a Tek 8x 54w setup over a AGA120. Perfect for the SPS but too much light for any softies and LPS I had in there. Only had a few leftovers from the previous tank. You can buy individual reflectors and ballast and bulbs but I am not so sure it saves much money. At any rate you want individual reflectors for each bulb to maximize the light output.

Others will chime in with what works for them.

bassnman11
04/02/2006, 10:46 PM
Whay are the dimensions of your tank. If its a 48 incher, go with 4 54 watt T5. Just put your sps near the top. DIY will save you some money, but will make for a better setup. I used 2 workhorse ballast on seperate switches and aqualux reflectors. If you decide to go all sps later, you could add 2 more, but 4 will be better for a mixed tank.

horkn
04/03/2006, 12:24 AM
well, i have a 90 (4 footer) coming in 2 weeks. if i were to t5ho this tank as well, i would do 5 or 6 by 54watts of t5ho.

i use the aqualux sold CDR reflectors. have had them for 15 months, no issues

but i will likely go 4 t5ho, and one 400w DE mh...

hahnmeister
04/03/2006, 01:07 AM
I might go as high as 8 bulbs, and the tek fixture. Many here would say that you should go with the aqualux or icecap reflectors on a tank that tall, as they produce 20% more light at 18" or more because of better reflectors, but in this case, perhaps the tek is an advantage because the light drop-off would allow you to still keep LPS and softies lower in the tank w/o melting them.

The reason I say 8 bulbs is that then you can use bluer bulbs and still get great retults rather than running the GE6500Ks for all your output. Besides, you might need the 8 bulb...if not...simply dont run them as long each day...thats all. But having it there is better than to wish you did later.

My choice of bulbs would be 3x Geisemann blue+, 3xGeisemann aquablue (maybe one actually a GE6500K), and two actinic+. Shortly, UVlighting (formerly URI) is coming out with a highly anticipated actinic T5...so then I would wait for those rather than buying the Geisemann actinic+.

horkn
04/03/2006, 11:50 AM
the big thing I dont like about tek lights is that they dont have waterproof endcaps.

on a 90, i think the lps wouldnt be an issue with IC or aqualux reflectors. at least in the lower half of the tank

thefuture
04/04/2006, 12:15 PM
does any of you guys have a link to the big T5 thread. i cant seem to find it and RC wont let me search fot it.
btw,
i have t5 fixtures for sale http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=817158 pm me if you need one

sales weasel
04/04/2006, 01:09 PM
Here is one of the threads:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=421647&perpage=25&highlight=t5%20sps&pagenumber=1

thefuture
04/04/2006, 01:50 PM
thanks

gudgreef
04/04/2006, 03:52 PM
Thanks for all the info. I met someone with a Nova 8 bulb setup that is on Fosters & Smiths with bulbs for $399. I know it is a 'cheaper' set up and doesn't have individual reflectors but he is very happy with his & I am very cheap. Any thoughts.
tom

thefuture
04/04/2006, 04:05 PM
its not worth it to go t5s if ou wont get individual reflectors. the lights dont put out as much, mite as well go PC's they will be cheaper. lol this is what i have found out from my research of t5s.

horkn
04/04/2006, 04:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7111110#post7111110 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thefuture
its not worth it to go t5s if ou wont get individual reflectors. the lights dont put out as much, mite as well go PC's they will be cheaper. lol this is what i have found out from my research of t5s.

i disagree.

while you may not be able to keep light hungry coral and clams, the fact is t5ho bulbs last 3 times longer than PC, and use less watts for more light, even with 1 parabolic reflector for the whole array of lights..

hahnmeister
04/04/2006, 04:47 PM
I agree with horkn...there are some exceptions to the rule. Look at Aquamedic's series of T5. Rather than individual reflectors, they are able to stagger the bulbs and use one large reflector. I dont know what the test results would be, but Im sure they arent bad.

Even with a crap flat reflector, I would still take the T5 over PC for other reasons.