PDA

View Full Version : volitan lions

bulldragon
04/02/2006, 10:38 PM
can they be breed? ive been thinking about it and wanting to but is it possible? yeah i know ill need a few hundred gallons to try and find a pair lol

FMarini
04/03/2006, 10:18 AM
yes-
Mike D (from 2 yrs back) had P Russell spawn regularly in his 300 gal tank. The key w/ large lions is huge gallonage, and live Sw feeders. You must condition these fish w/ copious amounts of live food. Mike live on the ocean and regularly seined his backyard for Sw minnows. This is a key to success.
AS for pairs of fish thats easy, get five, grow them up and you'll have a pair or more

bulldragon
04/03/2006, 03:15 PM
ok well im going to be trying in a 500 gal and i already have two but they are all hand feeding as is my shark and when i say hand feed i mean with a pair of feeding tongs not my hands LOL altho my larger lion is like a dog lol lets you pet him ( very carfully but pet him or her none the less)

stykthyn
04/04/2006, 03:20 AM
mine likes the sailfin mollies I catch on the beach. try getting some from the fish store and see if you ca nacclimate them to sw. your shark should like them also.

bulldragon
04/04/2006, 06:47 AM
why on earth would i want it eating live when i can feed it crab squid shrimp mussles scallops etc by hand and from frozen out of my freezer?
my big lion is clown friendly you can put the smallest of clownfish in with him and he wont touch the little fellas and i can put my hand in the tank and do whatever i need to and they just go about as if i wasnt there and to be honest i like it lol although my big fella wont eat infront of anyone but me and my dog lol if anyone else is in the room he wont touch food

stykthyn
04/04/2006, 07:30 AM
if you want to get him in the breeding mood,which I thought this thread was about, helps to condition them

bulldragon
04/04/2006, 09:46 PM
would not highly suplemented complete fish help???? i can get saltwater fish shipped to me from my family in newfoundland and on the coast but im figuring is i goto the asian (not so leggal) markets around my are i can get complete fish and then suplement with vitimins?

stykthyn
04/05/2006, 11:33 AM
try it and see what happens

bulldragon
04/05/2006, 01:56 PM
this has me curious now maybe ill keep two groups feed one group live and the other group frozen and see if it does make a diff because now im curious

stykthyn
04/05/2006, 09:55 PM
let us know what happens

bulldragon
04/06/2006, 07:35 AM
righty o will do