PDA

View Full Version : will this be a problem?

emperior911
04/02/2006, 11:16 PM
i use tap water when i do a water change with a stress coat. here is my question, i use an outside hose. My front yard gets sprayed with pesticide and fertilizer.... i'm worried that my hose could be contaminated. I sumurged the hose about a foot in the 50 gallon trash can... has anyone ever had a problem like this? i know i might be over periodnoid but any input would be apprecuated.

emperior911
04/02/2006, 11:17 PM
by the way, i'm worried about whats on the outside of the hose. to clarify

Amphiprion
04/02/2006, 11:19 PM
That could potentially be a problem. Also, the plasticizers within the hose material could be a problem as well, especially if it was outside in the sun.

Teremei
04/03/2006, 02:08 AM
I deffinatly wouldn't be doing that. Filling with tap water is one thing, but just using an outside hose is not a good idea.

Is it too much trouble to get some RO water at the supermarket when you do water changes? Less total dissolved solids the cleaner your tank will be.

emperior911
04/03/2006, 09:50 PM
i don't have anyway of transporting 50 gallons of water at a time

emperior911
04/03/2006, 10:00 PM
anyone else use a water hose from outside?

stykthyn
04/04/2006, 02:56 AM
I would buy a filter that hooks up to the kitchen faucet, I love mine, better than dragging aroung 25+ gallons of RO.

Black71gp
04/04/2006, 11:33 AM
ro units are only like 100 bucks. to spend that little amount to save the few hundred you have invested seems a bit worth it to me....you have some amazing large beautiful fish.. just to be safe i guess. but whatever works for ya is ok. i would not loke usting tap water out of an outside garden hose

Rothie
04/04/2006, 04:41 PM
Definately not a good idea.I can't even imagine what's on the inside of that hose.

XtrmCHoPZ
04/09/2006, 11:48 AM
Personally I think everyone is paranoid! Most pesticides and fertilizers that are used today are biodegradeable and I doubt they stick to your hose. I have used tap water from an outside hose plenty of times before when I didnt have access to RO water. Wash off the hose thouroughly before you do anything with it. Let the water run for a few minutes to clear out ANYTHING thats inside of it. And dont let it sit in the trash can, hold it.

I hate to break it to you all, but I work for a home biulder....the water that comes from your hose is the SAME water that you take showers with, cook with and wash your hands with.

If you must use tap water make sure you use a good quality dechlorinator and conditioner.

And emp I just gave you 4 containers for water.....you need more now?