PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to Clam keeping

Žeefer
04/03/2006, 12:00 AM
I'm just getting my 60 gal w/30 gal fuge back in order (was in a friend's office for about a year and moved it back to my house a month or so ago). I have 2 175w 14k halides and I should be finished setting up my calcium reactor later this week. For now It's just softies and LPS some fish, but I'd like to start adding some clams and some SPS. Levels are all good. I have been using Bionic but will discontinue with the addition of the reactor. Only other additives I use is Iodine, Reef Solution, and phyto. I'm wondering what else I may be missing to help keep clams happy should I add a couple in a couple of weeks. Are any particular types harder to keep? I have my sights set on some croceas.

Don Berry
04/03/2006, 06:46 AM
Croceas and Maximas are more light demanding and a bit harder to keep. Deresa's are a good starter clam. Easier to keep and need less light. Croceas by the way are the most light demanding. You should have enough light if you have one up in the rock work.

Žeefer
04/03/2006, 09:24 AM
I was planning on upgrading to the Iwasaki 14k bulb that people say is bright as the 250w bulbs, so hopefully that will also help. My tank is also near a bright window which I have debated in my head if it provides any additional useful light to my tank (algea grows much faster on that side at least. What are some key signs that clams are not getting enough light? My tank is relatively shallow and I have some nice open spots in my sand bed that I'd like to either add a brain or two to or clam(s). How many clams can I keep based on my tank size?

gil716
04/03/2006, 11:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7100842#post7100842 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cooltank
What are some key signs that clams are not getting enough light?

Hyperextension of the mantle and a shift in color towards brown.

How many clams can I keep based on my tank size?
The answer to your question will LARGELY be based on the types of clams you're hoping to keep. Here are some specs on commonly available species:
-Tridacna gigas - up to 3' long
-Tridacna derasa - up to 2' long
-Tridacna squamose - up to 16" long
-Tridacna maxima - up to 14" long
-Tridacna crocea - up to 6" long
-Hippopus hippopus - up to 16" long

Žeefer
04/03/2006, 12:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7101823#post7101823 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gil716
Hyperextension of the mantle and a shift in color towards brown.

The answer to your question will LARGELY be based on the types of clams you're hoping to keep. Here are some specs on commonly available species:
-Tridacna gigas - up to 3' long
-Tridacna derasa - up to 2' long
-Tridacna squamose - up to 16" long
-Tridacna maxima - up to 14" long
-Tridacna crocea - up to 6" long
-Hippopus hippopus - up to 16" long

Ok so my tank is 48" long...that means I can fit 2 two foot derasas side by side in the tank....jk. :rollface:

Thanks for the input guys. I guess I'll just start stocking the tank and see how the first one or two like my lighting.