PDA

View Full Version : OT : everything I need to know about moving to STL

latazyo
04/03/2006, 12:37 PM
well I'll be moving to Chesterfield on or around August 1st and I was hoping you all could give me some local advice on things such as:

TV and internet
I dont have HDTV and I have never had satellite, due to living in apartments
I absolutely insist on high speed internet, I prefer cable, up here we have digital cable/internet bundles anything like that available?

Cellular Phone (no need for ground line, only cellular)
around here Verizon is by far superior to all other carriers, but as with all carriers, coverage varies greatly by area

household furniture
any recommendations on stores to find beds, end tables, etc etc

miscellaneous
any miscellaneous local secrets? i.e. restaurants, the best grocery stores, best line of gas stations, video rental places, etc

thanks for any pre-advice you can offer as well
keep in mind that I'll be a newlywed college student and thus I will not be clearing $750,000 a year and buying leather sectionals with mug holders built in...hehe

tetra9999
04/03/2006, 01:01 PM
Chesterfield.. nice area

tv/internet.. im with charter they do everything for me Highspeed, cable tv and phone line for 99.00 a mounth.. I pay a few bucks extra for the HDTV box

cell phone, im with verizon and do alot of local travel 100+ miles, it seems to be very reliable for me.

dierbergs and schnuks seem to be the cleanest and best grocery stores but cost a bit more than say shopnsave, but by moving to chesterfield I dont think you'll find a shopnsave near by, I could be wrong.

dont rent movies when you can get them for free at redbox (inside all mcdonalds) yes I said free :) (with a little leg work)

Dert42
04/03/2006, 01:25 PM
i work in chesterfield.
:)
it's a nice area with tons of shopping.

i have charter's 3meg cable modem service as well as their HD DVR service. no complaints.

i have verizon and it's just fine.

for furniture i totally recommend ashley furniture in ofallon. not too far. awesome prices. i got a whole living room for $2000. that didn't include my big screen..

for food in chesterfield, annie gunns if you want to spend a lot of money on really really good food.
matidors if you want good cheap mexican.
don't go to fox and hound pub. bad food and even worse service..
there is a nice schnucks on olive not too far away from the valley.

you going to maryville or something?

latazyo
04/03/2006, 01:44 PM
thansk for the rapid responses....dert, I'll be at Logan College

I am happy to hear that Verizon is good down there too because since I know its good up here it'll be great for when I travel back here to visit and Im pleased with their service as it stands

Dert42
04/03/2006, 02:01 PM
cool.
my chiropracter went there.

trottman
04/03/2006, 02:21 PM
there are the best restaurants either on the hill, or in the central west end

DrBDC
04/03/2006, 02:27 PM
I do the charter internet/phone/cable package too. I think I pay 120 a month but I'm not sure how it worked out that way. I'm not sure about the HD stuff as I don't have one yet.

I use cingular because I'm involved with the scouts and at the S-F scout ranch just south of Farmington it's the only one that has service in the camp I guess because of how the towers sit vs. the hills or ??

There is a Schnucks and a Dierbergs right on Olive/Clarkson (it changes names when it crosses the hwy 40) each are just a little ways in opposite directions from the hwy.

You'll enjoy Logan but be prepared to work your butt off and not sleep much for about 3 1/2 years. When it's done you'll be glad you went there.

rams
04/03/2006, 02:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7102933#post7102933 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DrBDC
I use cingular because I'm involved with the scouts and at the S-F scout ranch just south of Farmington it's the only one that has service in the camp I guess because of how the towers sit vs. the hills or ??

the tower is on the north side of the ranch you can see it on the left as you go south on 67. Gets hit by lightning everytime there is a storm even 20 miles away. today would be a bad day to be there as coverage is poor. :lol:

trottman
04/03/2006, 02:36 PM
if you are interested, all the strip clubs are on the illinois side... In east county, right next to the big chemical factory.

i was drawn to their bright lights, but my dad drove away :(

Chelsey
04/03/2006, 02:37 PM
Hey, don't make fun of my home-town area :lol:

Believe it or not there are other carriers in Farmington. However, Cingular is the only one that gets reception around there because if I remember correctly they bought rights to the towers or something. All of this happened a long time ago, so my memory is foggy :p

rams
04/03/2006, 02:42 PM
no rights just a lot of talkers down there. Those Farmingtons love their cell phones. :D

Chelsey
04/03/2006, 02:46 PM
I love to talk...just ask Letmegrow ;)

Ocicat
04/03/2006, 03:08 PM
Do you know precisely where in Chesterfield you'll be living? I'm from Chesterfield, specifically by Clarkson and Baxter. Here are a few recommendations for that specific area:

Groceries: Dierberg's on Clarkson at Baxter. Trader Joe's for organic/natural foods, on the other side of Clarkson from Dierbergs and slightly north. (Try their $3 wine, commonly known as "3-buck Chuck.")

Video stores: There is now a Hollywood Video in the same center with Dierberg's. I like them better than Blockbuster, but there is also a Blockbuster north/east of 40 after Clarkson turns into Olive, by Schnuck's.

Internet/TV: Charter combo, as suggested above.

Restaurants: Fitz's, Ya-Ya's, PF Cheng's, Gianfabio's, Bahama Breeze, are a few in Chesterfield.

Miscellaneous shopping: Chesterfield Mall at Clarkson & 40. West County Mall on Manchester at 270.
Also, there is an entire city of shopping & restaurants in the valley (take Baxter or Hwy 40 west from Clarkson). Best Buy, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart, to name a very few - I think every big-box retailer in the area has a location there. There's also a big movie theatre out there.

From Logan you can also take Schoettler in the other direction (away from Chesterfield) and get to Manchester Road, for many more stores & restaurants (& West County Mall).

There is a YMCA on Chesterfield Parkway, across from Chesterfield Mall.

stlouisguy
04/03/2006, 03:33 PM
The only suggestion I would make is look at surrounding communities to save on some rent. Ballwin has some nice apts about 10 minutes from logan. Chesterfield can get a bit pricy for what you get

Ocicat
04/03/2006, 03:35 PM
Another tip -- Get yourself a St. Louis Street Guide and keep it in your car. Any gas station of any size should carry them. I got one a few years ago when I was house-hunting, and I don't know how I ever lived without it, even though I've lived in the area since I was a kid. I have one for St. Charles and one for St. Louis and use them constantly.

Letmegrow
04/03/2006, 03:42 PM
He is a guy, he don't need directions.....

Good idea tho !

latazyo
04/03/2006, 04:03 PM
I looked at a few apartments when I was down there for my interview at the college...there are a few places Im considering (its easy to find a place that will allow you to have a dog, but not easy to find a place that allows snakes)

Logan gives us a list of places that give student discounts (some are really good, like $75 off/month and 0$ deposit/app fee) so Im goign to look at those places first and go from there

trottman
04/03/2006, 04:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7103123#post7103123 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chelsey
I love to talk...just ask Letmegrow ;)

what could this mean! LMG talks to women! :eek2:

Letmegrow
04/03/2006, 05:11 PM
Jealous Trottie ?

trottman
04/03/2006, 05:13 PM
not really.... i try to hang out with girls within 1 year younger or a few years older......... but whatever works right? do what you gotta do

Letmegrow
04/03/2006, 05:17 PM
Awwww yes you are.

trottman
04/03/2006, 05:25 PM
i dont even know chelsy.... i have never even seen her before, should i be jealous?

back to the thread, cullpeppers (Ultra rare (:D)buffalo wings) in the central west end and favazas on the hill are both good places to eat.

Letmegrow
04/03/2006, 05:42 PM
Yes you should be jealous.

I would check out all the cool LFS first then worry about eating,

I do not live up there so I could not tell you anything about it.

If you want to go to the Zoo with SLASH or get some food (beer too I guess if Nook will be there) in the city, We can get that going and have a blast.

Chelsey
04/03/2006, 06:24 PM
Trottie at least get my name right :p C-H-E-L-S-E-Y :)

Pic can be found here: http://www.tlchedgehogs.com/seniorpic.bmp

However, I do not think it's a very accurate representation of me.

geoxman
04/03/2006, 08:17 PM
About this thread
1. chelsey, LOVE the outfit! car ok. I wish my vet looked like you! I would do weekly visits! Just in good fun!-have trott and letmegrow PM'd you yet?
2. The county is boring-jmho lived there 25 years(chesterfield, creve coeur)
3. I like the zoo and Forest Park-the scenery is amazing on a spring/summer day(ahh! girls sweating)
4. try not to ask advice from people on this forum
5. If all else fails you can tour the brewery and get free beer.
6. You still can go to back cracking school in NC
good luck!

Chelsey
04/03/2006, 08:25 PM
Sorry to kill your thread latazyo, but threads frequently get OT in SLASH.

Geoxman:
what's so special about the outfit? I liked my car, it was lots of fun to drive! I still miss the system that I put in it :( I'm not a vet yet, but hopefully I'll get good business :p Yes, both Matt and Steve have PM'd me ;)

trottman
04/03/2006, 08:28 PM
yea but her box is full now so i posted the PM :D

and you PMed me!

Chelsey
04/03/2006, 08:35 PM
PM box is empty now.

geoxman
04/03/2006, 09:35 PM
the skirt/shirt and you!
keep in mind that this a family board! oh ok

Chelsey
04/03/2006, 09:39 PM
Haha, thanks :p

latazyo
04/03/2006, 09:53 PM
like I would sweat a thread going OT, I hijack threads all the time

zt444a
04/04/2006, 06:20 AM
Make sure you tell our good friends at Charter cable that you are a current DISH subscriber and since you moved, you are contemplating switching service to Charter.

I got two years of very nice service for half price. There was no time commitment or anything else. Every channel, premiums, the whole shebang for a very nice price.

Ocicat
04/04/2006, 10:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7105723#post7105723 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by geoxman
2. The county is boring-jmho lived there 25 years(chesterfield, creve coeur)

^^^Agree 100%. You have been warned! It is very nice and very safe and very bland and very dull, unless you're good at entertaining yourself.

But then, that should be good for studying... right?

:bum:

Lost His Marbles Name
04/04/2006, 10:46 PM
I have fun were ever I go. You might just have to make fun with what you have and not take things for granted.

DrBDC
04/05/2006, 05:08 AM
There's a ton of stuff to do out here in the county. Rarely do I ever even go down with them thar city folks! Really Rams games are the only thing I ever drive down town for.