PDA

View Full Version : What if my Goby croaks under his rock?

Fountainhead
04/03/2006, 03:49 PM
I've had a diamond Goby for a litte over a year now. Today, for the first time, he failed to come out from under his rock this morning. I was concerned, so I suctioned the sand away from his hole (he always closes himself in) to see if he was OK. After dropping some food out front, he appeared and ate a little bit. He looked to me to be laboring. Seemed to be breathing heavily, and just didn't seem right. His appearance seemed normal, no marks or spots. But he wasn't acting right.

He sifted sand for maybe 5 minutes, and then he went back into his hole and hasn't come back out for several hours. I can barely see him down there just sitting in one spot. I can see he's breathing, but he's not doing much else.

My question is, should he die down there, how essential is it that I get him out? The rock he lives under is the largest, heaviest rock in the tank, and is covered by other large, heavy rocks. It would be a major (and destructive) engineering process to get down there. He's about 4 inches long, and my tank is 100 gallons. Will the crabs take care of him? Or is he too big to leave?

I'm still hoping he's OK, obviously, but I want to be prepared should he expire.

Carman34L
04/03/2006, 03:58 PM
the bristle worms, crabs, and other various creatures will do their jobs and clean it up. It is fine to leave him there. if it were a large fish then it would need to be removed.

rustybucket145
04/03/2006, 04:29 PM
Yeah, I'm with Carman, if you have an established tank with bristleworms they alone could take care of a fish that size.

REEFKEEPA
04/03/2006, 04:58 PM
Sorry about your Goby, but I totally agree with the above replies.
Maybe he will pull through!

Fountainhead
04/03/2006, 05:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7104128#post7104128 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by REEFKEEPA
Maybe he will pull through!

I sure hope so. He's my favorite fish. He did appear a little while ago when he emerged long enough to carry out two big hermits which had gone down in his hole. Maybe that was his way of pointing out that he's not dead yet. There's also a serpent star which has done under there with him, and he briefly tried to pull it out by a leg, but that was a non-starter.

I'm hopeful that he'll bounce back from whatever it is that's gotten him down. Other than the heavy breathing, there are no external signs of disease. Guess I'll just wait and see.

REEFKEEPA
04/03/2006, 05:47 PM
Thats what I would do.
Wait and See.
Good luck!