PDA

View Full Version : I've been accepted to Vet school

fishdoc11
04/03/2006, 05:21 PM
:dance:

I have been accepted for admission to the The University of Tennessee, College of Veterinary Medicine for the class beginning in August, 2006.

Thought my reefing friends out there might want to know:D

thanks, Chris

cee
04/03/2006, 05:38 PM
Congrats, Chris! Guess you'll be moving to Knox after all.

Dave

c_stowers
04/03/2006, 05:40 PM
Congratulations! I know your glad to be out of the limbo of not knowing where you will be going or what you would be doing. I've been there before and it's not fun. It's going to stink loosing you as a local fellow reefer, but at least you won't be moving too far away. So when do you think you will be moving?

gflat65
04/03/2006, 05:46 PM
Congrats. I know it's been at least five years since you started waiting to hear a few months back;). I'm sure we'll still be in touch pretty frequently. You're one of my main go to guys;). Let me know if I can help you move in any way (tankwise or otherwise).

greystreet41
04/03/2006, 05:58 PM
that's awesome man! congrats! Even better news for east tn reefers, bad news for middle tn reefers. :) Too soon for you to look down the road after Vet school or is that pretty much dictated by the job market at that given time? congrats again.
casey

foggy54
04/03/2006, 06:17 PM
Great news Chris,

I guess we all know where to get our Intercepter scripts.lol

fishdoc11
04/03/2006, 06:37 PM
Thanks everyone:D

We hope to get moved by about June but it all depends on selling the house and buying another etc....

As far as a job I really don't know anything outside of we would like to end up in Tennessee somewhere............ probably Middle or East in a more rural area.

That's a heartworm medication. What do you want to put it in a fish tank for:lol:

Chris :D :celeb1: :bounce1: :celeb2: :D

Angela Short
04/03/2006, 08:21 PM
Wow! Congrats on the great news! You will love East TN, Might I suggest a move 1 hour east to Rogersville ;). Great town and people but I am a little bias! There is still so much rual communities out there it is great, if thats your thing. I sure miss the open country. Hope the move goes smooth and you settle in good before those grulling classes start.

gflat65
04/03/2006, 08:52 PM
We need our fix, man...

Man, June is coming up quick... We'll miss you, but I guess if it all stays in state, all is well;).

DMBillies
04/03/2006, 10:06 PM
Congrats on Vet school! Grad school is a pain in the butt, but it should be worth it when all is said and done. Good luck with finding a new place and enjoy it out there. Shouldn't be hard to find rural in east TN.

fishdoc11
04/03/2006, 10:45 PM
Guys and Gals,
Thanks so much for the kind words. I can't tell you how cathartic and affirming this is for me. It's been a long time a commin' And I am so glad it's here:D

Chris:)

SexiShrimp
04/03/2006, 10:46 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!

HowardCath
04/03/2006, 10:47 PM
That's really great, Chris. We met 2 meetings ago (my first), tho I couldn't make the most recent meeting. Congratulations!!!
- Howard

danieljames
04/03/2006, 10:48 PM
Great news for your family Chris. I'm with Gary when the movin' time comes. Guinness will be fine. Congrats

boofer
04/04/2006, 08:08 AM
Congrats Chris!!! I know what its like "waiting" for that answer. Moving sucks, but at least theres a light at the end of the tunnel now:D

EvilMel
04/04/2006, 08:48 AM
YES! That's awesome!

kev-dog1
04/04/2006, 09:17 AM
Way to go Chris!
You'll love East TN. I lived in Knoxville most of my younger life...it still has a spot in my heart.
kev-dog

boodwah
04/04/2006, 09:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7105227#post7105227 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Angela Short
Wow! Congrats on the great news! You will love East TN, Might I suggest a move 1 hour east to Rogersville ;). Great town and people but I am a little bias! There is still so much rual communities out there it is great, if thats your thing. I sure miss the open country. Hope the move goes smooth and you settle in good before those grulling classes start.

So you are a Hawkins County girl? Small world. I grew up in West Carter's Valley, and moved back to the area for about 10 years. Now I'm here in Middle TN, but Hawkins County is still home for me.

Wes

MiddletonMark
04/04/2006, 09:22 AM
:thumbsup:
Great news, congratulations!

Tomoko Schum
04/04/2006, 12:02 PM
Congratulations and good luck!

Tomoko

eyebedam
04/04/2006, 02:21 PM
Congrats & good luck. Will you be parting out any of your livestock or will all the fishes be making the move with you.

Mdwannabe
04/04/2006, 03:14 PM
Congrats, let me know if I can be of any help.

Rick

sn8kbit
04/04/2006, 04:34 PM
Congrats Chris!

KafudaFish
04/04/2006, 04:58 PM
Congrats Chris.
One piece of advise: Never, ever, ever set foot on main campus. Main campus and the ag. campus are different worlds. There are only 2 types of students at the ag. campus: vet students in scrubs and ag. students in boots and camo. Parking is easy in ag. campus too compared to main. Also there are 2 or 3 places to eat on campus and the strip is close by.
Hope you are going to join ETRC.
Mike

boodwah
04/04/2006, 05:10 PM
Congratulations. I wish you and your family the best.

danieljames
04/04/2006, 05:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7111057#post7111057 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by KafudaFish
Congrats Chris.
One piece of advise: Never, ever, ever set foot on main campus. Main campus and the ag. campus are different worlds. There are only 2 types of students at the ag. campus: vet students in scrubs and ag. students in boots and camo. Parking is easy in ag. campus too compared to main. Also there are 2 or 3 places to eat on campus and the strip is close by.
Mike

Very cool. That is worth your rc membership right there bro.

rcmike
04/04/2006, 08:15 PM
Congratulations Chris!:) We will miss your expertise around here though.:( We could use a good vet around here. Hint hint.:lol:

rsteagall
04/04/2006, 08:21 PM
definitely congrats. You've definitely been a valuable member of the club. We hate to see you go but wish you much luck. Knoxville isn't really that far away. I'm sure you'll still make it to every meeting. lol. :)

GL!

-Ryan

rcmike
04/04/2006, 08:31 PM
Well, we'll settle for every other one at least. :)

gflat65
04/04/2006, 08:56 PM
No, we've got him on contract. He'll be here every meeting and everyth third Wednesday of the month. Now we just have to get Amy on board:D.

wooglin
04/04/2006, 10:44 PM
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just dave
04/04/2006, 11:03 PM
From your screen name I thought you were a vet.

If that was a name you choose due to wishful thinking I'm changing mine to Single-n-Wealthy.

Stinky2426
04/04/2006, 11:53 PM
Hey Chris much much...congratulations on your admission to the vet school in knoxville, I know that you will do well because you took great care of those little animals in your tanks...

fishdoc11
04/05/2006, 12:42 PM
Thanks so much for the kind words everyone:D

I do plan on joining ETRC and look forward to being in Knoxville. I will miss MTRC but luckily we have this thing called RC so I will never be out of touch;)

.....except maybe the month leading up midterms and the month leading up to finals:lol:

Thanks for the campus advice. I actually attended school a LONG time ago on the main campus and have visited the Ag campus a couple of times recently and it is definately MUCH better. I really like the garden that's adjacent and the view of the river:)

My screen name is fishdoc because that's what all my friends called me in my twenties. Several of us had aquariums and I guess I was the most "nerdy" about it so the name stuck.

thanks, Chris

greystreet41
04/05/2006, 01:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7116527#post7116527 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishdoc11
Thanks so much for the kind words everyone:D

I do plan on joining ETRC and look forward to being in Knoxville. I will miss MTRC but luckily we have this thing called RC so I will never be out of touch;)

.....except maybe the month leading up midterms and the month leading up to finals:lol:

Thanks for the campus advice. I actually attended school a LONG time ago on the main campus and have visited the Ag campus a couple of times recently and it is definately MUCH better. I really like the garden that's adjacent and the view of the river:)

My screen name is fishdoc because that's what all my friends called me in my twenties. Several of us had aquariums and I guess I was the most "nerdy" about it so the name stuck.

thanks, Chris

that nerdy part still resonates well. ;)

wooglin
04/05/2006, 01:11 PM
My aunt lives in Knoxville, I will have to make a point of visiting you.

reewik
04/05/2006, 02:38 PM
We all knew you would be ... Congrats!!!!!

anthony34
04/05/2006, 03:05 PM
Congratulations

fishdoc11
04/05/2006, 05:39 PM
that nerdy part still resonates well.

:lol:

My aunt lives in Knoxville, I will have to make a point of visiting you.

Please do:)

Thanks again guys....it means a lot:)

Chris

fishdoc11
04/05/2006, 05:43 PM
Will you be parting out any of your livestock or will all the fishes be making the move with you.

The fish will be making the trip with me but I will be fragging back allmost all corals extensively and selling the whole colony in some instances.

I will be offering some nice frag packs when the time comes:)

thanks, Chris

greystreet41
04/05/2006, 07:24 PM
I'll also miss the people addressing you as "Thomas."

fishdoc11
04/05/2006, 07:28 PM
Shhhhhh....that's my "other" name :lol:

RUPE
04/06/2006, 08:15 AM
Congrats on the acceptance. One of my Wife's coworkers has alos been accepted into the school.

Is the rest of the famely making the trip? If not, he was wonting to know if you needed a roommate.

jfw60
04/06/2006, 08:19 AM
Congrats on getting accepted, going to vet school is a dream of mine, so how did you find yourself moving in that direction, and what did you do to get accepted, in terms of undergrad school, any suggestions for someone wanting to return to school?

fishdoc11
04/06/2006, 12:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7122502#post7122502 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RUPE
Congrats on the acceptance. One of my Wife's coworkers has alos been accepted into the school.

Is the rest of the famely making the trip? If not, he was wonting to know if you needed a roommate.

Yes I'm moving the family. My wife, two kids, two dogs, two cats and only 2 aquariums:lol:

fishdoc11
04/06/2006, 12:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7122524#post7122524 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jfw60
Congrats on getting accepted, going to vet school is a dream of mine, so how did you find yourself moving in that direction, and what did you do to get accepted, in terms of undergraduate school, any suggestions for someone wanting to return to school?

That's what I have always wanted to do. I ended up dropping out of school the first time around(luckily before I had too much time with bad grades put in) and working for several years. I was fortunate enough to get a second opportunity and so I took advantage of it. The biggest piece of advice I could give is get good grades in undergraduate school. You need at least a 3.5 cumulative and about a 3.2 in science to have a decent shot and IMO that's minimum. Of course the higher the better. Getting an interview is based solely on your academic performance and that's 70% of the admissions process. MTSU has a great pre vet program. I majored in Animal Science and you will end up minoring in chemistry and biology just because of the prerequisites for vet school.
hth, Chris

Pandarian
04/06/2006, 12:52 PM
Congradulations Chris! UTvet a very competative vet school to get into. We'll be glad to have you up here. Also, I second what Kafudafish said at the Ag campus.

jfw60
04/06/2006, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the info Chris, I can relate I got a B.S. in food science a few years back, now at thirty, I want to go for my vet. Your advice has been taken, and I will check with MTSU ASAP about their animal science program. Again congrats.

fishdoc11
04/07/2006, 09:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7124755#post7124755 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jfw60
Thanks for the info Chris, I can relate I got a B.S. in food science a few years back, now at thirty, I want to go for my vet. Your advice has been taken, and I will check with MTSU ASAP about their animal science program. Again congrats.

If you already have your degree you will just need to take the science prerequisites most likely. Don't bother with getting another degree. You might contact Dean Brace in the admissions office at the school. He, along with everyone else at the school, is very helpful and I'm sure he would be happy to either sit down with you or discuss over the phone what you would need to accomplish to be considered.
good luck:) Chris

sunamoon
04/08/2006, 09:35 AM
Let me add My hardy congratualtions to the list! I know you have worked very hard to balance everything out while you reach your goal!

fishdoc11
04/08/2006, 10:14 AM
Thanks Suna:)