PDA

View Full Version : pH probe question

beaker77
04/03/2006, 07:31 PM
I have a Hanna Checker pH probe that I think is broke. If I calibrate it then recheck it a few minutes later the probe is between .05 and .5 off. Anyone know what my problem is? Or should I just get a different probe? Any recommendations on brand or model?

Thanks

TWINPEAKS
04/04/2006, 07:46 AM
did you try new batteries?

DrBDC
04/04/2006, 08:48 AM
I had one of those too and it did the same thing. I returned it and they sent me a new one that was just as bad.

beaker77
04/04/2006, 09:07 AM
So would the Pinpoint pH monitor be the way to go? It would be great to have something like that mounted in my sump.

TimBob
04/04/2006, 09:18 AM
I'm not sure any of them are worth their price. I am now on my 2nd Milwaukee pH meter and it started messing up the other day. The readings have been creeping higher on a daily basis. Yesterday the meter was reading 8.6 so I quickly tested with a SeaChem test kit and the pH was right at about 8.2-3.

I tried to calibrate the meter last night and I could not adjust the reading all the way up to 10.0, so something is obviously screwed up. I have a spare probe that I am going to try out once I get new calibration fluid (just to be sure)

The first meter went the other way, down, when it failed. Even with a new probe I couldn't calibrate the thing to read higher than 5.6 when the probe was in my tank.

I don't think the Pinpoints are any better, my friend has been through two of them in the same amount of time.

Next step will be an AquaController mounted outside my stand.

SSTG
04/04/2006, 04:45 PM
timbob, try soaking probe in vinegar then recalibrate.I've had a pronto for about six years no problems but vary costly.

Zephrant
04/04/2006, 11:03 PM
I talked to Milwaukee customer service (very helpful by the way) when I had that issue last year. I could not calibrate to 10.0.

He suggested dropping the probe in Windex. If it does not immediately peg to 14+, then the probe has gone bad, and needs to be replaced.

In my case, it could not get up to 10.0 even.

Figure about 9 months max out of a probe.

Zeph