PDA

View Full Version : New to saltwater.

Quickcord
04/04/2006, 07:40 AM
Hello all.

I have been reading this forum for a few months now and I have some questions before getting started. I am looking to start a tank with a clown pair and anemone as the main livestock.

I am looking at a 30 gallon breeder tank (30 long). Most of the tanks I see in my brief stay here are taller. Is there any advantages to this besides vertical space? Maybe to keep the water flow higher? Would a 30L be a good tank for what I am looking at?

I would love to go bigger but money is a concern. I want to do it right, not skimp to get a bigger tank and the bare minimums to keep it going. :D

Any advice would be helpful.

Quickcord.

rrome
04/04/2006, 08:09 AM
IMO, there is an advantage to a more shallow tank in that light will penetrate better, anemones need light to thrive.

It sounds like you want to a species tank, with the anemone/clowns as the main focus. Sounds like a nice plan, take ot slow, if you ever think about corals, be carefull, anemones and corals are best not mixed in the same tank due to chemical warfare.

In that tank, you also may be able to keep clams, which do not bother anyone and are pretty in their own, plus you'll have the light they need

dantodd
04/04/2006, 08:43 AM
a 30L is an excellent tank for anemone and clowns. The only thing I would suggest is to add a good sized sump if possible. It can be a little tricky to keep your water quality stable with a first saltwater tank. Also, be sure to let the tank mature well before adding an anemone. Most recommend 6-12 months. You can add 1 or 2 clowns as soon as the tank cycles though.

One other thing. Choose your clowns carefully. Percula and Ocellaris are the easiest to keep and will breed easily in that tank. Some of the largest species will be on the border of crowded in a 30 at maturity. Clowns also eat ALOT and will pollute 30g pretty quickly.

Quickcord
04/04/2006, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the quick replies.

I was not going to have corals in this tank. I want to get some experience first-baby steps.

Clowns would be Percs (not sure which) with a BTA, cleaner crew, and maybe another small fish.

Quickcord

SEAFLOWERS
04/04/2006, 11:21 AM
Quickcord,

Welcome to RC!!!!!!! I would say just take it slow whatever you decide to do with the tank. Nothing good happens fast in a saltwater tank, if you continue to browse this site you will read that over and over again. PLEASE research, research and more research before you take the leap in putting anything into your tank.