PDA

View Full Version : anemonea and coral.

OrangeKoi
04/04/2006, 10:05 AM
Is there a thread on coral and anemonea together?

I have several little coral growing very well (surprise to me) in my little tank. They were mostly hitchhickers. But I just love them. I have an sps that I had to move for the bta had wanted the hole next to it.

I didn't read enough apparently. The BTA is on the left side and my corals are all on the right.

Is this a very bad thing? Can I keep my coral on one side and my bta on the other? Or will the BTA just kill my coral?
I do have a second tank that one of them could move to. The current is much lower in the other tank. But there is a hermit crab in there (Phimochirus holthuisi ).

Do anemonea live with sea horses? Just curious. I was planning on maybe making that tank into a sea horse tank. But things change.

My false percula pair take turns mouthing it but no acceptance yet. It's only been a few days.

Just one more question, can you have too much light for a BTA?

OrangeKoi
04/04/2006, 11:06 PM
So, in pictures posted I've seen the two together, I'll just assume this is normal, since no one will say a word. OK?

BangkokMatt
04/05/2006, 03:19 AM
Keeping corals with an anemone is always going to be a bit risky. Thae anemones can move about and sting your corals. However many people, including myself, keep the two together. Just try and place the anemone ina place it should like ie medium flow, concealed foot etc.

Yes, you can give a BTA too much light. It won't cause it serious damage but might force it to move. Then other factors can cause it serious damage such as powerheads. They can take a lot of light though. How much you got? Are they PC or MH.

As for you clowns not hosting - a BTA is not the natural anemone for true percs. You might be lucky and they host or they might never do it

OrangeKoi
04/05/2006, 01:46 PM
Thanks. I appreciate the feedback.

I'm starting to believe I like plain reefs. Without fish. Maybe I'm just discouraged, but sometimes it is best to let go.

I've got the filter covered with at any rate, and switched it to high flow so there is pleanty of current still, but safer for you know who.

Do those mesh screens really work or do they just become a smaller holed sive? I mean, I'd rather use the mesh if it is safe and allows current. What do you think?

BangkokMatt
04/05/2006, 08:22 PM
As long as the power head is covered and flow is enabled then it doesnt matter what you use to cover it.
Your info says you have a 5.5 gallon system. This is way to small to keep an anemone. It will almost certainly die and at best will be really unhappy. You need at least 50 gallons before you should even consider getting one.
To be honest, if you are setting up a reef system then you need to invest in a much bigger tank. 5.5g will be way to unstable.

rrome
04/06/2006, 06:53 AM
In general, it is not recommended by the experts (such as Anthony Calfo) ko keep sessile (corals) and motile (anemones) cnidariams in the same tank, for the reasons Bankogmatt states. Also, these animas release chemicals into the water (chemical warfare) that in a reef is not a problem, but in a closed system can be disastrous. Many corals also have sweeping tentacles.

If you decide to doit, I suggest agressive skimming and frequent water changes.

MRinCC
04/07/2006, 09:37 AM
Do anemonea live with sea horses? Just curious. I was planning on maybe making that tank into a sea horse tank. But things change.

NO.......the seahorse will get stung or eaten

check out seahorse.com, seahorse.org, synthroid.org

traveller7
04/07/2006, 09:42 AM
Why not check out the seahorse forum right here on RC as well?

http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=35

dantodd
04/07/2006, 12:36 PM
I dont' know of any anemone that will have adequate room in a full 5 gallon tank much less having to share it with other stinging critters.

js_abattoir
04/09/2006, 09:54 PM
As far a BTA and coral, I have had pretty good luck but only after I left the BTA for a little while to find its "Happy Spot". They have been in the same spot now for over a year and my various corals have not had any issues.