PDA

View Full Version : Ich help please

flyingace2005
04/04/2006, 09:13 PM
I have recenty moved my setup, a 125gal and 75gal to a new house and sold all of my fish before the move. I just added some fishto the tanks and almost all of the fish are showing signs of severe ich. I belive it came from a fish that I got from a friend that died from i believe ich. My question is... What should I do about this issue before any more of the fish die. I have a hundred gallon stock tank that might be able to be used as a quarintine tank. Would it be worth the stress on the fish to take them all out and put them in the stock tank. Could I perform hypo on the system? Would that kill the live rock? Also I just set up a 40watt uv that I hope will help a little.
Thanks in advance.

flyingace2005
04/04/2006, 09:18 PM
Tank inhabitants are:
2- fairy wrasses
Bluface angel
H-Tusk
Snowflake eel
Undulate trigger

SAT
04/04/2006, 10:21 PM
[ich]

The standard protocol is to remove the fish to a treatment tank, use hypo or copper there, and let the display tank remain free of fish for 6-8 weeks.

Hypo is not normally recommended for tanks containing live rock. You should assume the rock will be less live when you're done. Depending on what is lurking inside the rock, die-off could pollute the tank. Copper has a similar effect except worse.

Don't use copper on the eel. The eel will be resistant to Ich but it's not known for sure if it can harbor the disease, so I suggest treating it with hypo along with the other fish.