PDA

View Full Version : New 700g Reef Project

ZoeReef
04/05/2006, 01:49 AM
We're going to be building a 700g reef tank that bends around a corner in an L shape. The drawing is simply conceptual.

I plan on keeping this thread going through the design and installation. We expect to move in about April 07.

I am the pastor of a local church and we will be placing this tank in our combo childcare/kids church area. Care will be taken so ensure kids aren't slapping on the tank.

It will have a dedicated room behind it in which we will grow and distribute frags. My goal is not only to showcase the beauty of reefs, but to inspire and train budding aquarists.

I will try to keep things fairly current.

I'm looking for suggestions on height and depth. What do you think?

ZoeReef
04/05/2006, 01:59 AM
Ahh..err..here's the concept image.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/508/118941NewTankConcept.jpg

mg426
04/05/2006, 02:07 AM
The deeper you make it the more intense lighting you will need. There is a great thread on here somewhere ( I just cant find it) by Waterkeeper about lighting.

ZoeReef
04/05/2006, 08:42 AM
thx mg. Would you suggest building one that is deeper?

Liquid1
04/05/2006, 08:54 AM
I would recommend 24"-36" deep and 24" high as a starting point. As mentioned, if you go for more height, you will need more intense lighting. 24" seems to be popular as 250W MH's work quite well with this tank height.

That being said, if money is no object and you like the look of a higher reef, then build it to your desired specifications.

ZoeReef
04/05/2006, 09:03 AM
What advantages do you see in a deeper tank?

Stile2
04/05/2006, 09:11 AM
to begin I think that height of a tank just a looks thing, it is about what you like to look at.

I think there are several things to take into account when looking at height. 24" makes for a nice tank and 250W MH work well and you can still reach the bottom of the tank, for cleaning, moving frags, etc.

30" looks a little better, really just more impressive, but you probably would want 400 w MHs, and cleaning and moving become an issue, unless you have 30" arms :).

36" would look really impressive, like a wall of tank, but lighting would seriously become an issue and forget about cleaning, moving, etc.

IMO

Keith

kevensquint
04/05/2006, 09:32 AM
I agree with the 24" depth + benefits idea.

sttroyiii
04/05/2006, 11:11 AM
Remember you have to be able to reach in the tank....a lot.

ZoeReef
04/05/2006, 11:23 AM
good thoughts. I really don't want to put on the scuba gear.

I think I am leaning towards a longer tank rather than a taller tank.

Any thoughts on front to back dimensions?

kevensquint
04/06/2006, 09:43 AM
A long shallow tank with a nice front to back width will give you alot of aquascaping freedom. IMO, at least 24" wide but if you can even wider 30" +++

ZoeReef
04/06/2006, 09:56 AM
I got to thinking (actually viewing) and I'm considering a peninsula tank. Perhaps 120" x 30" x 40" wide. It would allow more kids to look at the tank at the same time.

I think the wider scale is quite appealing

Stile2
04/06/2006, 10:04 AM
I really like the peninsula idea, that is what I am doing on a much smaller scale. 3'x2'x2'

Keith

hopper
04/06/2006, 12:18 PM
Peninsula's make awesome looking tanks. I think the peninsula would be easier to clean also. I agree that the 24" dept is easier to care for when it comes to maintenance. If you decide to go with the 30" deep tank, the magfloat will take care of the bottom of the glass, and the Kent long handle scraper will come in handy. If it is going to be 700 gallons you need to consider how much floor space you are going to use up on the 30" versus 24". I'm not a mathmetician so I will let someone else do the math in figuring out the dimensions that would be needed. Plan on getting some Tunze's though with that big of a peninsula tank.

ZoeReef
04/06/2006, 01:29 PM
Stile.. I had to laugh at your college degree quote.

I'm not settled on the 30" or 24" depth. I would think I would need a compelling reason to go deeper - open to the idea if there is a good reason.

The maintenance and upkeep will be 'out in public' with the peninsula so this requires some thought as well.

I'm learning a 3d modelling program so I can begin to put this scheme together. I agree, I think there are Tunze's in my future.

mtfish
04/06/2006, 02:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7114272#post7114272 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mg426
There is a great thread on here somewhere ( I just cant find it) by Waterkeeper about lighting.

I believe the following link is the thread in question. It's 12 pages but not as long as some of Waterkeeper's other threads :)

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=550860

ZoeReef
04/06/2006, 10:37 PM
thanks for that link. Very helpful

ZoeReef
04/07/2006, 11:01 AM
I'm very much still in the conceptual mode, but a few thoughts I am feeling more firm on at this point are:

1. Deltec self-cleaning skimmer, pricely..but I think the skimmer is absolutely essential to long term stability and I will splurge here. To me, it's an insurance policy on stability.

2. a thin sand bed in the tank with a large DSB in the sump, so I can isolate it if needed, and I lessen the chance of running into a mysterious dreaded DSB doomsday kill-off.

3. Peninsula style tank if I can plan it in a practical manner.

I'm beginning to think of the tank with a peninsula mind-set. It will give much more viewing area.

Right now, I'm all of one month into Reef tanks. I have my 24g nano at home with about 18 corals, clean up crew, 30lbs LR, about 2" of sand, Blue damsel, clown, fire shrimp.

I used Bio-Spira to cycle the tank. I've been in the hyper mode and have stocked the tank faster than I should have. I've got a Remora skimmer coming in early next week..first skimmer experiences to follow.

About one month from now we'll be setting up our 160g system which we will use to grow corals for the 700g tank.

yes...my wife is concerned.. but we all really enjoy our little nano and the further adventures of Mr. Crab, Officer Blue (damsel..who is in charge of all aspects of tank life), and Red Shrimp.

Well, back to productivity..

steve the plumb
04/07/2006, 07:48 PM
my tank is 36 deep.I like it because it does give you a nice view.The only problem is the depth is a bit annoying when you have to stick your hands in the tank.You will need a small step stool and your arm pits might get wet sometimes.All in all I have 250 mh and I find lighting is fine.

ZoeReef
04/07/2006, 08:57 PM
thx Steve. Until now, being 5'9 has never been a problem. I bet 36" is spectacular. I'm glad to know the 250's are working for you.

ZoeReef
04/15/2006, 10:34 PM
Not much new on the project. Put a Remora skimmer on my nano and it's simply outstanding. It has convinced me to spend the money on the best skimmer I can get.

Just as an FYI, a commercial fish guy quoted me $42,000 for the setup..which does not include corals or fish.

I'm really glad I've invested in this simple little nano. It has convinced me that I will be able to setup the large tank without spending the huge bucks. My guestimate is in the range of $25,000. We'll see.

I'm one month out from taking possession of the 160g tank system. The current owner is bringing it up with some friends and we'll have it all setup in one day.

I've bought 150lbs of LR from a guy in Tucson. I'm buying 180lbs of sand. It will be aragonite but not live. I'll spread some LS on top of it.

I'm considering getting the sand and the LR and putting them in a play pool in my back yard. If only I can figure out a way to keep the dogs from bathing in it. It's at times like this I wonder if I'm getting impatient or manic. Who knows.

This tank will go in our current child care and I won't be there all the time so I AM going to let it age for a month before putting anything it it. I really am. I really mean it. We'll see..

ZoeReef
04/18/2006, 04:53 PM
Dimensions are now at 10.5' x 36 wide x 30"high.

Will be a thin sand bed with DSB sump, large learning refugium and several feature tanks. Here's some early drawings.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/118941Conceptual_View_1-med.jpg

Support room will have a good monitoring system since I can't be there all the time and others will be helping. I want to know what's going on when I'm out of town.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/118941Conceptual_4-18-med.

700g tank is now 600g with 2-4 20g feature tanks, 30g refugium, 60g sump and about a 40g frag tank.

I would be real interested in people's comments on placement of skimmer/Calcium Reactor/sump/refugium.
-What should the order be

ZoeReef
04/18/2006, 04:56 PM
I wasn't ready for that to post, anyhow, I would be interested in your thoughts on the order of skimmer/refugium/sump/frag...Andy

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/118941Conceptual_4-18-med.jpg

staticxtreme
04/20/2006, 06:44 AM
I'd think sump, refuge, Skimmer, Reactor.

ZoeReef
04/20/2006, 10:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7212182#post7212182 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by staticxtreme
I'd think sump, refuge, Skimmer, Reactor.

Static... What would you think would be the pro's and con's of putting the skimmer downstream from the sump - refugium?