PDA

View Full Version : how deep a tank can i get with 4 x t5 54w lights

snaza
04/05/2006, 03:14 AM
i want to keep corals so how deep could i go?

floridareefs
04/05/2006, 07:45 AM
18 inches would be a safe bet with that setup, Given you run individual reflectors for maximum output. If you overdrive the 54w buld with say an icecap 660, 20 inches would be no problem. Skys the limit for corals. In fact, you may bleach some out.

horkn
04/05/2006, 07:59 AM
well, i run 3x39 of t5ho with aqualux CDR's on each lamp, on a 17"tall tank, and I have no problem keeping sps anywhere in my tank. LPS have to be at the bottom, or they get too much light. And even then, at the bottom torch and hammers do not do well in my tank due to the intense light.

my tank has been t5ho lit for nearly a year and a half. and I have tried all sorts of different things under them, even a clam, on the bottom, and its doing great. certain types of shrooms just shrivel (green striped) regardless of how far deep they are in the tank, and other shrooms do well near the top in full brightness, and others, like my purple, and the blue shrooms do better at the bottom, in some sort of shade.

so, depending on your tank size, and choice of bulbs, you may have too much light, or just the right amount...

mayor10
04/05/2006, 08:44 AM
horkn,
What are the dimensions of your 35 gal tank?

horkn
04/05/2006, 11:32 AM
3foot x 12 deepx 17 tall.

its an all glass that they do not make anymore. i bought it new, many years ago