PDA

View Full Version : turbo snail growth rate

timmyus
04/05/2006, 09:43 AM
does anyone know how fast turbo snails grow. I cant seem to get a nice big one for my tank I can get small ones for about $1 each.

sttroyiii
04/05/2006, 09:48 AM
I have about 3 right now, small ones. They have added from .25-.5" to their shells in 3 months. I noticed them really growing once I started adding Purple Up. Im not sure how it helps them, but now you can really see the new shell extending before it grows any algae/coralline on it. Ive got one large guy, about 2-2.5", and he is growing about the same.

spidey07
04/05/2006, 11:19 AM
I'd say my turbos have at least doubled in size in a year and are quickly getting too big.

They're about golfball size now.

You can really see their growth because the newer part of their shell isn't covered in coralline.

timmyus
04/05/2006, 12:03 PM
How many turbo snails do you think I should get for a 75 gal tanks??

R33f3r
05/03/2006, 08:32 AM
I dont have much hair algae in my 75, so I have only 3 HUGE turbos and they keep everything in check. They are about 3 inches and I have had them for about a year.

slowECUdiver
05/03/2006, 11:00 AM
i bought some decent sized ones a few months back (maybe quarter-size diameter) and they are easily half-dollar if not silver-dollar sized. for a 75 gallon, i have 4 and i think that might be too many! i have no hair algae, no green algae (other than fresh coraline growth) and along with the assorted margarita, strombus, stomatella, and astrea snails, my tank has been algae free it's whole life (going on 6 months) aside from the initial diatom bloom which i believe all tanks go through...

Julie V
05/03/2006, 04:19 PM
I have a very large turbo that came from Garf about 2 months ago. He was about the size of a golf ball and has grown some since. Just started feeding mine kelp attached it to the mag cleaner. Kelp doesn't desintegrate like nori does and I believe feeding him about once every 10 days suppliments what he may not be getting in the tank.