PDA

View Full Version : Another annoying question about Maracyn and Cyano. Really just about the Maracyn

THEPHISHGUY
04/05/2006, 12:51 PM
I bought Maracyn at the LFS last night. It says on the top of the package FRESHWATER. After some research, I found they make FRESHWATER and SALTWATER. Does it matter which one is used? I was just reading my petsolution catalog and it says the Maracyn for FRESHWATER can be used for fresh or salt. So what is the right one? Both? Please advise cause the cyano is killing me....

dne63
04/05/2006, 02:08 PM
Its just what I,ve been told but Phosphate that cause the cyano so I would try testing for that first, as for getting past it try increasing your water flow over the area where you find the most, and during cleaning try to suck as much as you can out. I have been told that it is best to use chem clean as far as any chemical treatment. As I said this is just what I,ve been told hope maybe it of some help. Dave E

THEPHISHGUY
04/06/2006, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the INFO. My name is Dave E. also. Funny. I understand the idea of trying to find the root source. I have a TDS meter that runs at 0, a phosban reactor w/ ROWA and I have done AT THE MINIMUM 18% water changes per week since day one. I have a problem with overfeeding. My fish look like Hurley on LOST! So anyone know if I can use this Maracyn or do I need to get the saltwater kind?

Amphiprion
04/06/2006, 08:03 AM
I wouldn't use maracyn at all. It would be best to back off on feeding and increase flow in affected areas, while removing any visible cyanobacterial films during water changes. Give this time (as you are doing everything else just fine) and if all else fails, use Chemi-Clean.