PDA

View Full Version : LFS fish

Wallen
04/05/2006, 07:20 PM
I guess Im just having bad luck in picking my fish. My tank is completely cycled with 0 NH, 0 nitrites and nitrates. My first two fish were a firefish and 6 line wrasse. Unfortunately, the firefish died. Then i got a Red lip goby and it died, but the wrasse is fine. Have been testing every day since firefish died and saw nothing unusual.

Was just curious as to how many people have bought fish from LFS and they just died, dont want to think Im already killing fish. Would it be better to order them offline instead? Im just not sure how to know if Im getting a dying fish from the store.

Andrew
04/05/2006, 07:22 PM
[welcome]

You've got something wrong with your tank or they are stressed to the limit being moved. How are you acclimating them? It may be the fish store but better chance its someting you are doing wrong. What are all of your water levels and give more tank info... also, more water levels listed please.

BadOleRoss
04/05/2006, 07:23 PM
You might take a sample of your water to the LFS and see if you are missing something. I have never had that kind of experience from my LFS but I have killed a number of fish on my own without their assistance. Do the LFS tanks look OK?

kraze3
04/05/2006, 07:25 PM
First Welocme to RC

Second, Can you post some specs about your tank? It will help others to help you more. Size, FO, FOWLR, REEF, what are you feeding, are you using ro/di water, what kind of LFS are we talking about? An aquarium dedicated store or something like a petco or petsmart?

CarmieJo
04/05/2006, 07:34 PM
I've bought all of mine from the lfs and not had a problem. What are your water parameters? How long did you have the firefish? How did you aclimate it? Did you add it & the wrasse at the same time? How long did you wait to add the goby? Did you see the fish eat at the store? I can't speak to ordering online b/c I've never done so. I know that their s&h can be pretty expensive especially if you are only buying one fish and in a new tank I don't think that you should be adding more than one fish at a time.

FormulatedFire
04/05/2006, 08:22 PM
maybe u have some kind of predatory in there killing them

Wallen
04/05/2006, 08:56 PM
Sorry bout forget other infor, 75 g, 20g sump, temp 76-78. fowlr. Ive taken water to lfs ,which is small local pet store selling both fresh and saltwater fish, and had it tested 3 times there plus everyday this week at my house. With test coming out 0 on nh, no3 and no4. 1.024 sg.
Feeding them the shrimp they use at the store. Got the wrasse and firefish same day left them in bag in tank for about 1.5 hours. Firefish died next day but wrasse is doing fine now. Got Goby 2 days later, he survived for 3 days then died.

Thanks for the help

CarmieJo
04/05/2006, 09:10 PM
Have you checked pH? I guess the tests at the lfs & home are the same? How long has your tank been set up? Do you have a cleanup crew? Did you see the fish eat at the lfs?

Were you adding water bit by bit to the bag the whole time? There are lots of folks here with more experience than me but I float my fish for 15 - 30 min to equalize temp. Then I put the fish in a bucket and add about 2 T of water every 3 minutes for then next half hour. Then I dip out part of that water and add water again for another half hour or so. Then I net out the fish and add him to my tank.

Wallen
04/05/2006, 09:16 PM
The ph is around 8.1 or 8.2, from what i seeing im thinking i might have rushed the acclimation process of it. Im thinking the problem might have lied in balancing the water before moving him into the tank. To reduce the stress. As far as cleanup crew, have none yet, but working on them. Have any you could recommend would be helpful as well.

Thanks again for the help

kwiker
04/05/2006, 09:27 PM
I know you are killing alot of fish but make sure that you sheck their policy. Some stores guarantee their fish for a few hours up to a couple of days. Maybe you can get some of your money back. It won't hurt to find out.

CarmieJo
04/05/2006, 09:28 PM
Yes I agree that you need to slowly aclimate them to the water in your tank so there is less stress. I figure that when a cheap fish is $10 it is worth taking the time to give them the gentlest introduction possible.

My cleanup crew consists of a bunch of snails af different varieties and some scarlet hermits.

WiscSea
04/05/2006, 10:26 PM
That's not the best acclimation, but I don't think it would kill that many fish.

I'd buy one fish from a different store and see what happens.

Wallen
04/06/2006, 05:33 AM
Just curious, did you mean my way of not adding water to their holding area before adding them to the tank, or the way described as adding water in slow intervals?

Jeff_edge540
04/06/2006, 06:35 AM
It sounds like you did not drip your fish in to aclimate them - just put the bag in the aquarium for 1.5 hrs? If so, that is your problem. Many LFS keep their water at about 1.014 salinity because it keep parasites down. You have to slowly (about 2+hrs) drip your aquarium water into the bags to get your fish used to your 1.025 water.

Also, many lfs don't have clean hydrometers and give inflated readings (so their 1.014 is really prob 1.012) compounding the problem.

CarmieJo
04/06/2006, 07:34 AM
Did the lfs recommend how to aclimate your fish? Or ask anything to determine your level of experience? If they didn't I would look for someplace where the salesmen ask you questions and make recommendations based on your equipment, knowledge and experience.

Also, now that you know how to aclimate them be aware that you should NEVER put the water the fish came in into your tank. Net the fish out of the aclimation water and put him into your tank.

Bathel
04/06/2006, 01:20 PM
Here's a link to a very good acclimation guide.

You should follow it ...

Every fish I have every recieved has has always had a very low SG in the water bag they come in, not to mention PH. Just dumping them in your tank after letting them the bag water temp match you tank is not going to cut it most of the time.

Also, 76 degrees sounds a bit cold (but not an issue) ... is there a reason for the low temp? Is it dropping lower than this over night? Do you have big swings in temp?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=19&ref=3319&subref=AI

ReefNutPA
04/06/2006, 07:06 PM
Did the LFS pack the fish with pure oxygen? Most smaller stores don't. If not, that could be part of the problem. Fish bagged without pure oxygen should not be left unopened in the bag for 1.5 hours IMO.

Tom

REEFKEEPA
04/06/2006, 08:09 PM
I agree with the try a different store theory.
The fish you are buying could have been wild caught by poisoning.

Wallen
04/07/2006, 12:29 AM
Thank you all for the help!!! I am just going to wait for a while before buying another one and enjoy the wrasse for now. But next time i will be knowledgeble on the acclimation process and hopefully will not kill the fish. I am loving this hobby and do not want to leave due to my mistake but rather learn in every step.

Thank you again