PDA

View Full Version : Bronze Medal in the MDVC Snowboarding Eastern Finals this past weekend !

Dave ESPI
04/05/2006, 09:58 PM
OMG ! race results are in !

I took Third place in my age catagory at the LOON MOUNTAIN National EastCoast Finals this past weekend !

So stoked I'm still twitching and I just found out the results at 11 am today!

I had a stellar run on the course with a perfect amount of flow, and then at the second to last gate, I nearly wiped outon a patch of ice where my back foot came loose from the edge in the snow, but I lean forward, stuck the nose of the board in and heelside manualed a butter turn with a bit of a nose press on the ice, and saved the gate to finish. I knew I had lost precious seconds I needed to win or place and still managed to come in third !

I attribute it to having a fast pace at the top where I was relaxed and just able to flow.

Information: got to Snocountry.com and click the Mountain Dew Vertical Challenge section.

http://www.snocountry.com/pdf_files/mdvc_results/06_loon_04_01.pdf

Race results (Dave Sheedy MB 26 class 32.80 sec (shoulda been about 24 something I think had I not put the brakes on at that gate)

My qualifying run at www.jiminypeak.com a few weeks ago... I took a Mountain specific Silver medal that qualified me for the finals.

Pics from the race this weekend!
http://www.mellonhead.com/gallery/1325351/1/62574224/Medium
http://www.mellonhead.com/gallery/1325351/1/62573312/Medium
F- A ! I was moving .... Look at that snow spray !

Well I guess 85 days of snow boarding and making less than 40.00 a day has it's worth afterall :D

Side note, I also happened to find an EXACT replacement rossignol board for my Bud Light ride that has been well used and loved for nearly 12 years now/ on E-bay 2 days ago and it is brand new never ridden. sweetttttt !

scotia-reefer
04/06/2006, 04:00 AM
Nice. Congrats! I keep saying to myself that one of these winters I'm going to learn how to snowboard!

jaze36
04/06/2006, 07:23 AM
Congrats Dave. I use to ski race and I know thats an accomplishment, it must feel good.

Lou, I skiied for 29 years and during that time had 3 knee reconstructions due to skiing. I loved it and figured I would never quit, during that 29th I tried snowboarding and have never gone back to skiing. Once you try it you will be hooked.

Dave ESPI
04/06/2006, 07:32 AM
Jaze, that is the consensus with may long time skiers. SB is way easier on the kees, legs, and back......... well once you get past teh "falling" part of the learning curve in the beginning LOL.

Serious injuries to SB'ers is wrist, collarbones, arms and occasionaly ribs or very rarely ankles. Well, that and ofcourse head, but I highly suggest a helmet ;) It saved my skull a few times, and wrist guards when learning is always a good idea too.

LOU, next season I should be back at Jiminy as an instructor (they already asked if I was going to come back). I'd be more than happy to show you how to fall...errr snowboard :P

Rainer Feyer
04/06/2006, 07:41 AM
Congradulations, Dave!

reefD
04/06/2006, 08:20 PM
nice!
so this was just a timed run with no other competitors? just wondering cause ive watched a few super cross events and man !.......8 guys start and 4 get knocked out. lots of bumping and brushing going on there. in any case david..........Im proud to say that a guy from my reef club has been competing in snowboard runs in the area....and not just competing but tearing it up! pat yourself for me! for real!

Dave ESPI
04/07/2006, 08:40 AM
ReefD, it was Side-By-Side Giant Slalom. I WISHED it was a Boardercross series like I used to race in back in 1999-2000 seasons of preliminaries for the X-games up at Mt. Snow VT, but that course is hard to do unless set up exactly the same everywhere. Yeah Full contact sport X-cross is indeed !

I should have a nice little paperweight (trophy) to stick all my bills under soon (comming in the mail) ... LOL.

Might look good in my reef tank perhaps :p

vmiller
04/07/2006, 11:55 AM
Congrats dude!

by Dave ESPI
Jaze, that is the consensus with may long time skiers.

Not for this one! I don't think I will ever find any sport activity as pleasurable as making some perfectly carved high speed turns down a steep hill on a pair of skis. But that's a true racer's mentality I guess.

I've done my share of snowboarding, and it's fun for sure, but for me it doesn't come close to the above. Although, one thing that's amazing about snowboarding is riding in powder. I've never surfed, but I bet that's what it must feel like!

by Dave ESPI
Serious injuries to SB'ers is wrist, collarbones, arms and occasionaly ribs or very rarely ankles.

You left out tailbone. Bring a pillow for your butt Lou! :D

scotia-reefer
04/07/2006, 01:26 PM
Yeah I tried it once and I know what you mean. I had a hard time sitting for a few days.

Dave ESPI
04/07/2006, 01:40 PM
Vin, I don't know what you are talking about....

http://www.monmouth.com/~dschutz/Outboard2.gif

Carve boards are lightning fast. I have one, but it is not good in ice. I'm setting up for a hardboot board this next year, and will be smoking you "2 stickers" through gates and make it look sexy.

Tailbones yeah, they hurt too. I've got an "everted coxxix" my tail bone sticks out a bit, and I've slammed it a few hundred times snowboarding. Buttpillows are not uncommon ;)

xian
04/08/2006, 02:53 PM
You guys are depressing me :(

Way to go Dave :)

michaelg
04/11/2006, 10:28 PM
Dave- hopefully I can get a couple lessons next season from you. Tried it for the first time this year with my 10 year old daughter. was actually cruising by the end of the day (relatively speaking)- been a skier for close to 30 years, and use to skate pools so thought it wouldn't be to hard... found some parts of it easier and some aspects a little harder than ski's- but imagine if I did it for a whole season would be a convert. Have always hated ski boots and the lot of stuff to carry around!!!!

michaelg
04/11/2006, 10:31 PM
Vin- surfing is a whole different level....
given ocean or snow- I'll take the water.

vmiller
04/12/2006, 05:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7161060#post7161060 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by michaelg
Vin- surfing is a whole different level....
given ocean or snow- I'll take the water.

Me too, get me the hell away from winter. :)

Dave ESPI
04/12/2006, 07:59 AM
ya knoe................... ya could always surf in the bay, and that water is cooooolllddddddd !