PDA

View Full Version : EcoTech Marine VorTech Propeller Pump

jw10604
04/06/2006, 06:34 AM
Anyone planning on purchasing one of these?? It sounds interesting but expensive. www.ecotech.com

elephen
04/06/2006, 06:38 AM
You might want to check out the IceCap forum here, lots of good info and reviews from beta testers.

elephen
04/06/2006, 06:39 AM
BTW its www.ecotechmarine.com :)

mcox
04/06/2006, 03:55 PM
I don't plan to run on a timer or wave machine, so the way I see it....

1 VorTech powerhead=$345.00

2 Tunze 6060's w/magnet mounts approx. $340.00

I'm going Tunze. The VorTech may be a better powerhead, but I think Icecap/Ecotech have priced themselves out of the market. Sure they will sell some, but unless they get their powerhead under $200.00, they will miss sales on most of the market.

dhnguyen
04/06/2006, 04:15 PM
Well the Vortech is more like in the same class as a Tunze 6100 than a 6060. That said though, I do agree that Ice Cap may have priced it too high to capture the marketshare.

D.

golfish
04/06/2006, 04:48 PM
gcarrol had one running on a tank at the local coral market that was held here a few months ago. He's said in another thread that there were heat issues with these units at high speeds.

mattseattle
04/06/2006, 05:06 PM
here is what gcarrol said exactly.....just so you can have the entire story.

I had on running in my 20 gallon display at the SW-CFM. Very impressive from a flow standpoint. Lets see how long before people complain about the heat from the pump motor and control box. I know, I know the motor is on the outside. That may be true but some of that heat just might transfer to the tank from the motor even through the glass. BTW the temp issue was only an issue when running full blast. Maybe they have fixed this issue in the production model.

mattseattle
04/06/2006, 05:08 PM
I'll have a production model in my hands Saturday so I'll find out first hand if there is a heat issue which I highly doubt there will be.

yeah, the price was a little steep but i've spent a lot more on a skimmer!

dhnguyen
04/06/2006, 05:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7126189#post7126189 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mattseattle
here is what gcarrol said exactly.....just so you can have the entire story.

I had on running in my 20 gallon display at the SW-CFM. Very impressive from a flow standpoint. Lets see how long before people complain about the heat from the pump motor and control box. I know, I know the motor is on the outside. That may be true but some of that heat just might transfer to the tank from the motor even through the glass. BTW the temp issue was only an issue when running full blast. Maybe they have fixed this issue in the production model.

He had a Vortech running in a 20g tank? :eek1:
Talk about a tsunami going on in there.

OT -- I'm hoping to move up to the Seattle area in the near future :cool: Beautiful place to live

mattseattle
04/06/2006, 05:52 PM
yeah, it's a great city!!! i used to live in the bay area.

dhnguyen
04/06/2006, 05:56 PM
Yeah we love it up there. Now if I can only find me a job there first :lol:

Anyway back on topic. Keep us updated on your Vortech pump once you have it.

mattseattle
04/06/2006, 05:57 PM
the software industry has made a huge rebound here in the past few years. you shouldn't have any problems.