PDA

View Full Version : Am I overloading my circuit breaker?

jmcmahon66
04/06/2006, 09:52 AM
I am no electrical wizard, and am wondering if I overloading a 15 amp breaker with my tank. I have 1100 watts of lighting, 2x250 watt heaters, mag 9, and eheim 1060 return pumps, and a pair of tunze 6100s for circulation, and a sedra 5000 for the skimmer. As far as I can tell, nothing else is on the circuit. Is this too much for a 15A circuit? Would a chiller be out of the question? Thanks for the help.

Regards,
Joe

old salty
04/06/2006, 09:58 AM
Maybe not overloading it, but definately pushing the envelope. Yes, a chiller on that same circuit would be out of the question.

ReeferAl
04/06/2006, 03:32 PM
I would say you are definitely overloading it. If you're not tripping the breaker you may not be quite there yet, but it looks to me like you've got at least 13-14 amps on the circuit already. You should really aim for no more than about 75-80% of capacity.

Allen

vmelia@sbcglobal.net
04/08/2006, 03:27 PM
you should only load that circuit up to 80% which on a 15 amp breaker at 120 volts would be 1440 watts threshold for a 15 amp breaker is 1800 watts but you should not load that up that high and between your lighting and heaters your already at 1600 watts with every thing on at the same time i'm sure your over the 1800 watt limit if you havent triped your breaker yet your pretty lucky or you a ge panel and breakers they don't trip very well

Chappy
04/09/2006, 09:58 AM
How hard is it to run another line for another breaker? And any idea on costs for a pro to do it?

jmcmahon66
04/09/2006, 10:37 AM
Thanks for all the replies and info. I haven't tripped the breaker...yet. I am concerned as I am thinking of adding new hardware such as a UV sterilizer and another Tunze stream. I imagine that the situation where ALL my components are on at the same time is going to be rare ( the heaters will probably not be on when the lights are,the lights burn my skin as it is ), but I still want to be safe in the future. I am going to contact an electrician to figure out the best way to upgrade my electrical. Thanks again.

salty444
04/09/2006, 10:47 AM
Pop a 20 amp breaker in place where your 15 amp is now.. make sure you shut the main breaker off of course!! you can buy the breakers for 5.00 at home depot. takes about 3 minutes to do.. you may as well just throw a 2 pole 50 amp breaker in there for the extra 2.00

scottfarcuz
04/09/2006, 11:09 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7142660#post7142660 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by salty444
Pop a 20 amp breaker in place where your 15 amp is now.. make sure you shut the main breaker off of course!! you can buy the breakers for 5.00 at home depot. takes about 3 minutes to do.. you may as well just throw a 2 pole 50 amp breaker in there for the extra 2.00

I'm no electrician, but I don't think that advice is good. I don't think a 20 amp circuit uses the same wire as 15 let alone 50 amp? I know we are talking about draw but it just sounds like potential fire...

Mbeef61
04/09/2006, 11:17 AM
what i did was change my single 15 amp breaker into a piggy back 15 amp breaker...which means there are 2 15 amp breakers in the same spot as one 15...they are just 2 little switches next to each other....then i put 3x250 halides on one cuz they pull about 6.5 amps and the rest of the pump equip on the other 15 which is about the same (7 amps), so now my tank has its on breaker spot in the circuit box with 2 switches each 15 amps...and it took no modding to the box

also you dont want to exceed 80% of the breakers rating or its likely to pop...also go with a good brand like square d. its better to add more breakers than to add bigger amps...they are rated for a reason but i think a 20 amp to a 15 its ok but def not a 50, then it would never blow and could easily cause a fire...just my .02

BeanAnimal
04/09/2006, 12:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7142660#post7142660 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by salty444

NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!

DO NOT TAKE THIS ADVICE!

BY no means can you just toss in a larger circuit breaker. The size of wire in the ENTIRE branch circuit determines the breaker size. TO use a 20 AMP breaker, the entire branch circuit needs to be wired with #12 or larger wire!!!

I am not sure what the 2-pole 50A comment is directed towards, but again, you just can't go toss a big breaker in the panel and hook wires to it. Your asking for fire, or death.

Salty, with all due respect, I don't think you should be giving ANY electrical advice, as it seems a bit out of your area of expertise. Your "advice" in this case is deadly.

I am being DEADLY SERIOUS. If you have done work in YOUR OWN panel or anybody elses, you need to immediately consult a professional electrician and have them take a look at the work you have done.. .ALL OF IT! You have likley put yourself, your family and neighbors in harms way. I am not trying to be rude or put you down, but your post shows an utter lack of understanding of circuit breakers and electrical services. This means you have no business offering wiring advice, let alone "upgrading" services. Please do yourself a favor and the SAFE thing... get somebody to look at your work.

Bean

slathrum
04/09/2006, 12:31 PM
Yeah...putting a 20 amp breaker on that would definitely be a bad idea!

BeanAnimal
04/09/2006, 12:40 PM
Honestly a mod should edit that post, as it bad enough advice that people should be prevented from reading it and missing the reply, then doing something potenitally life threatening.

Paul B
04/09/2006, 12:40 PM
Put your hand on the breaker, it is probably warm. You are right up to the limit. And as was said, do not change that breaker to a 20 or anything else. Run another line or don't buy a chiller.
Paul

salty444
04/09/2006, 12:47 PM
What are you guys talking about? Most houses here in NY are roughed in using 12-2 wire. What would be the problem swapping out a 15 amp for a 20 amp? By the sounds of things he already has swapped his 15 to a piggyback totaling 30 amps on 1 circuit.

I retract my comment about the 2 pole 50 amp. That is for an AC unit or a stove.. do not do that.

BeanAnimal
04/09/2006, 12:51 PM
You can not assume that a circuit is 12-2 and just toss a 20A breaker on it. Morover, most common recepticle circuits are #14 unless otherwise required by NEC code (clothes washer and kitchen) or local building codes. Of course some home owners request the 12-2 for receptacle circuits, and some buildrs developers add them as an "extra". But more often than not, if #12 is not required by law (code) then #14 is used. It is cheaper and A LOT easier to work with when terminating recepatcles.

He swapped a full height breaker for 2 half height breakers. Each is it's own circuit with it's own home run of wire.

Many service panel manufacturers offer half height breakers so that a "full" service panel can be added to.

Bean

Paul B
04/09/2006, 01:05 PM
Salty I have been an electrician in NYC for almost 40 years.
That 15 amp breaker is there because the house is most likely wired with #14 wire. Even if it is #12 wire you don't know if any #14 wire was added after the home was built.
Don't change the breaker to a larger size.

tkeracer619
04/09/2006, 03:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7142811#post7142811 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mbeef61
what i did was change my single 15 amp breaker into a piggy back 15 amp breaker...which means there are 2 15 amp breakers in the same spot as one 15...they are just 2 little switches next to each other....then i put 3x250 halides on one cuz they pull about 6.5 amps and the rest of the pump equip on the other 15 which is about the same (7 amps), so now my tank has its on breaker spot in the circuit box with 2 switches each 15 amps...and it took no modding to the box

You did run new wire to the breaker box right?? Just so someone doesnt see this and think they can add two breakers on the same wire.

Never Ever Ever change a breaker to a larger one and leave the wire alone. The breaker is not what limits your power, it is the wire. The breaker saves you and your house if you short the circuit. Anyone who feals otherwise needs to A) keep it to themselves and B) Call an electrician to fix your fire hazard!

CHAPPY I just had a new line installed for my tank. Expaect to pay a few hundred dollars for it. Now I have 2 15A circuits dedicated to the fish tank. As far as loading you can seprate everything into two groups. So you dont loose all power if you trip the circuit.

Opiy
04/09/2006, 03:26 PM
I am glad I saw this thread because I was wondering if I could swap my 15a breaker to a 20. I have a 100a panel that has no more room :/

Guess I will leave it alone and get a 200a panel installed in the future. (Soon future I hope)

Scuba_Dave
04/09/2006, 03:50 PM
Electricity is not something to mess around with unless you fully understand it. AS STATED, NEVER upgrade a breaker unless you can verify ALL wiring connected to that breaker

15A = 1800w MAX
It's surpising you haven't tripped the breaker
1100w of lighting, 500w of heaters, Tunze 6100 45w each, Mag9 93w, eheim 1060 return pumps (2 ?) couldn't dind these - 20-60w each?, Sedra 500 - 50w??

40w?
50w?
Total 1873w

If anything kicks out, your tank is toast
Possible for heaters to be on, and lights just coming on
I'd resolve this problem. I've seen breakers run really hot without tripping. I'd also make sure the breaker can trip. If for some reason it is defective you could be in trouble
My mom's house had a problem & at least 3 breakers were rusted in the open position

ReeferAl
04/09/2006, 03:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7144101#post7144101 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Opiy
I am glad I saw this thread because I was wondering if I could swap my 15a breaker to a 20. I have a 100a panel that has no more room :/

It may well be a good idea to upgrade your service if the panel is full, but it does not preclude adding another circuit now. Although not optimal, you can switch out 1 of the full width breakers for 2 half-width breakers. The old wire goes to 1 of them and the other breaker then provides a new circuit. You then have to run new wire for that circuit. OTOH, in the long run an upgraded service to 200 amps is going to give you alot more expansion capability.

Allen

BeanAnimal
04/09/2006, 04:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7144101#post7144101 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Opiy

Guess I will leave it alone and get a 200a panel installed in the future. (Soon future I hope)

The 100A panel is not your limitation. If your out of space, you can add half height breakers to some panels. The other option is to add a small sub-panel to the existing 100A panel. This is something that could be done DIY with the right research and "helpful" friends. If you have to pay for it, it will be MUCH less than the upgrade to a 200A service.

The "sub panel" entails buying a small sub panel and suitable breaker. A length of 4 conductor service cable and suitable hardware. This will cost you a few hundred to have done by a contractor, and as little as a $100 to do yourself.

The 200A upgrade entials a new panel, new meter socket, new service entrance cable, disconnect and reconnect from the utility power, inspection and permiting, possible service drop upgrade, and reconnection of ALL of your existing circuits. Look to pay anywhere from $1000-$2000 plus materials.

Some folks are fully capable of DIY electrical work, others need to steer far clear. A friend in the trade is helpful but be warned a service panel is not someplace to cut your teeth as a DIY electrician.

Most homes never draw anywhere near 100A, so 200A is somewhat overkill. The panels have more spaces in them and are therefore more popular as "upgrades". A 200A service will look good when you go to sell the house also. Of course if you ever do decide to upgrade an old panel... 200A is the way to go in most cases.

Scuba_Dave
04/09/2006, 04:51 PM
I calculated out my draw using an excel spread sheet & my (Max)draw is over 146a at present. I was very glad when we bought this house & it already had a 200a panel
We have added a 100a sub-panel that will eventually be connected to a generator - which will be professionaly installed.
We have a 50a hot tub, electric water heater, plus I'm adding some radiant floor heating

My last house had a 100a main & 100a sub-panel. I would of been happier with a 200a service
But we had gas heat, gas stove & gas hot water there

I have 60a of Christmas lights alone at this house :eek2:

ReeferAl
04/09/2006, 05:34 PM
We unfortunately had to upgrade a couple of years ago from 200 to 400 amp service, but that's another story. :)

Allen

jmcmahon66
04/09/2006, 05:57 PM
I'm glad i started this thread, as there has been a lot of great information in it. Just for the record, I am having an electrician come this week to add a new breaker and outlets for my tank. Since the tank is in a finished basement, it will be easy to run/hide new conduit. I have never had the tank blow the breaker, but have had a vacuum cleaner blow it so I know it works. The breaker did not feel hot to me when I touched it. Thanks again for all the help.

Regards,
Joe

robsmith32
04/09/2006, 06:52 PM
likeley wasn't pushing all that wattage at any one time for one the pumps are running at pressure therefore lower wattage draw. They only pull their max rating at startup as well.

But in the end what was done was the BEST, now that chiller just about need a circuit of its own. ON second thought, put the chiller and heaters on the same circuit.. something is wrong if both are on at the same time.

Do yourself and your family a big favor, when he installs it , make sure he installs a GFCI one...