PDA

View Full Version : Coral Banded Shrimp is a bit hostile.

kingtoad
04/06/2006, 12:50 PM
Is there anything to prevent this behavior? He's been nipping at all my fish. I think my bicolor dwarf is taunting him too. He would swim by the Shrimp and it looks like he's shaking his fin rapidly to create current in the direction of the shrimp, the shrimp would try to attack him and the dwarf would jet off.

Is this common behavior?

Bathel
04/06/2006, 12:54 PM
yes .. no big issue ... the CBS is just protective of his space. Don't give it another thought ... he's harmless.

kingtoad
04/06/2006, 11:46 PM
Ok, thanks.

JeBuS
04/07/2006, 01:12 AM
the CBS will kill other shrimps so dont waste ur money.

cfarrow2
04/07/2006, 01:29 AM
I had a power outtage once. One of those CBS and a dragon wrasse. Low oxygen levels made the wrasse sluggish and an expensive snack. His name was Tojo...damn I loved that fish. Just my experience.

Bathel
04/07/2006, 06:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7129018#post7129018 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JeBuS

???

Since when will a CBS kill other shrimp? Chase them away if they get to close ... yes, but hunt them down and kill them ... The'll kill other CBS but they are over all harmless(unless you have some tube coral, mine seems to like to peck at it) ... they will be protective of there space, but I've never heard or seen a CBS kill anything that didn't already have two fins in the grave.

As for the BCS eating a Wrasse ... good for him ... as most of the time it's the other way around ... Triggers and Wrasses don't get along well with BCS ... or rather the BCS doesn't do well with Trigger and Wrasses.

Jeremy Blaze
04/07/2006, 07:16 AM
Yes, coral banded shrimp will kill other shrimp.

In fact, I had one that would catch feeder platties and eat them!

Bathel
04/07/2006, 07:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7129640#post7129640 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jeremy Blaze
Yes, coral banded shrimp will kill other shrimp.

In fact, I had one that would catch feeder platties and eat them!

No offense, but isn't that what feeder platties are for ... to be consumed.

Have you heard or seen one killing a cleaner shrimp or any other common shrimp in a display tank?

I'm sure there are incombatablities out there ... but I've not heard of any with the common types keep in most tanks.

gobygoby
04/07/2006, 07:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7129018#post7129018 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JeBuS

I have kept a CBS with cleaner, camel and peppermint shrimps for years....no problems.

Jeremy Blaze
04/07/2006, 07:28 AM
I know that feeder platties are for that, I was just stating that to make a point that they are aggressive and will catch and kill other animals.

Yes, I have seen CBS kill peppermints, cleaners, and other CBS.

jgoodrich71
04/07/2006, 07:47 AM

While I say this statement is false, in the other ongoing thread about BCS, I remarked that I would not put it past them to eat a small fish, or another shrimp. While most of the time they should be fine with these things, BCS are aggressive scavangers that will eat anything it can catch. Why wouldn't it? I have found that mated pairs are a lot less aggressive. (I guess they have "other" things on their minds.) But definitely don't mix 2 nonpaired BCS together, and they also don't get along with arrow crabs.

kingtoad
04/07/2006, 09:11 AM
Uh, what?

I was talking about them attacking my fish, not other shrimp.:rollface: