PDA

View Full Version : 29g filtration

jdm01
04/06/2006, 05:47 PM
Right now I have a 29g tank that will be the grow tank for my new 90g. I have a Cascade mechanical filter and a SeaClone skimmer. The skimmer is going to go this weekend. I have had all I can take of it (SeaClone is not worth the money). Question is should I just get a better skimmer or should I replace the whole thing and go with a wet/dry sump?

c_stowers
04/06/2006, 05:49 PM
I personally would go with a better skimmer, something like an Aqua C Remora.

bertoni
04/06/2006, 10:11 PM
Do you mean to use the 29g as a refugium for the 90g, or as a separate system?

I think a skimmer is a good item to have. For a 29g, I've used the Remora Pro, BakPak, and CoraLife SuperSkimmer models. I guess I'd suggest looking at the SuperSkimmer, as a first guess.

jdm01
04/07/2006, 05:18 AM
For now I am using it as a separate system. They are in separate rooms so they would be hard to connect. My plan is to grow coral frag's etc... in the 29g and then move them to the 90g once they are established. I have a variety of softies in the tank (devils hand leather, feather dusters, mushrooms, and one unidentified species) all of which are doing very well and thriving with two exceptions.

First I have a sun coral (orange with yellow blooms that come out at night) that was doing very well until a couple of weeks ago when I switched from Aragamilk to PurpleUp. Since then it has actually started to shrink. Second, I have another leather (cabbage I believe is what the LFS called it) that has started to do the same thing. It was in there and thriving for months until recently.

I am wondering if it is the switch away from Aragamilk that could be the issue. The ph, nitrate, nitrite, and alk all seem to be good and I am doing weekly 10% water changes. The only other thing I have noticed is that the flow in the tank has gone down some due to the problems with the skimmer.

Any thoughts about the problem?

bertoni
04/07/2006, 12:14 PM
I wouldn't use Purple-Up. It's a mix of various ingredients, some of which I wouldn't dose. How are you supplementing calcium and alkalinity? What are the levels? Aragamilk probably isn't helping much, but I don't think it's as dangerous as Purple-Up might be.

I think a skimmer would be a very good idea for your proposed setup.

jdm01
04/08/2006, 04:58 PM
I just got the CoralLife SuperSkimmer today and will set it up tomorrow. Calcium is still a little low around 300 ppm alkalinity seems to be doing pretty well at leat according to the test strips. I should probably get a different type of test kit.

jdm01
04/14/2006, 06:56 PM
I just got done trying to set up the CoralLife SuperSkimmer. It did not go so well. It is designed for up to 65 gallons and I am installing it on a 29g. I could get the water level adjusted, but it was loud and no matter what I did I was not able to get any bubbles. I am considering purchasing a sump and putting the skimmer in the sump. The skimmer is pretty big to use as a hang on for a 29g. Any thoughts?

jdm01
04/14/2006, 06:59 PM
Bertoni, I eliminated the Purple Up and went back to Aragamilk. The calcium is still low - around 300 ppm. The LFS suggested using the 2 part calcium and buffer supplement from Kent Marine. I have been feeding the tank more frozen brine shrimp and the sun coral has really started to perk up. The cabbage leather is still struggling, but it is acting like it might make it. Just an FYI.