PDA

View Full Version : parasites, ocellaris

amazingbobby
04/06/2006, 10:00 PM
After 1 month of proudly owning my pair of Ocellaris clowns, it looks like the samller of the 2 has ich. Although it behaves normally, there are definitely 4-5 white spots near the dorsal fin. I searched the web for photos of ich, and what is on my fish did not look the same. However, whatever it is was not there before.

I know about qt, I screwed up. Everything else has gone perfectly, but now I have my first real problem (unless you count minor hair algae!)

Anyone have a suggestion of what I should do? What is the best treatment for clownfish?

bertoni
04/06/2006, 10:05 PM
If it's ich, I would suggest setting up a hospital tank now, and treating with hyposalinity. These articles might help:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-10/sp/feature/index.php

amazingbobby
04/07/2006, 06:26 AM
This morning, it looks like my smaller clown does not have any spots, but my larger one has about 5. They are white. In my freshwater experience and from what I have seen on the web and at Petco one time, ich normally looks like someone salted them up with a salt shaker. Is it possible that this is not ich, or a mild case?

By the way, I understand the lifecycle of ich (thanks bertoni) and know treatment would be necessary either way.

What is the best treatment for clowns? I have one vote for hyposalinity.

E-A-G-L-E-S
04/07/2006, 06:36 AM
hypo first...if it doesn't work, then a safe leel treatment of cupramine or the like
-jmo

amazingbobby
04/07/2006, 07:23 PM
Today when I came home from work....no spots. I appreciate the relplies from you guys. I guess I will watch and see if it comes back.
Guess I will set up a quarantine and stay away from the miracle cures. Believe it or not, my two LFS told me they were all basically useless even though they sell several different types. Also, couldn't help myself and bought a cleaner shrimp. Don't know if it will help, but it looks cool and my son feels like he has more stock in the tank, "mine, he says!