PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Schedule vs Feeding Schedule

kingzeus
04/07/2006, 11:05 AM
I'm in the process of setting up a 90g tank and I'm trying to figure out my lighting schedule. I would like to able to view the tank when I'm home in the evening and awake.

I was thinking about making the light schedule 12pm - 12am. But, my concern is morning feedings for the fish. I would need to feed sometime around 9am. Can I feed with the lights off or does that feeding time mean I need the lights on at 9am?

Thanks.

slowECUdiver
04/07/2006, 11:24 AM
what kinds of fish do you have that need to be fed at 9am??

i keep my lights on a similar time schedule (actinic from ~12:30 pm to 12:30 am and 10,000Ks from 1:00 pm to midnight) and generally feed my tank once a day around my dinner time. that way i can watch my fuzzy dwarf eat while i'm eating :)

FWIW i will sometimes only feed every other day, especially when the lion has eaten too much in one evening.

kingzeus
04/07/2006, 11:26 AM
Honestly, I'm not 100% what I'm going to keep. But, my research indicates two or more feedings per day is ideal for most fish. I plan on keeping a tang, royal gramma, green chromis, and possibly a snowflake eel.

slowECUdiver
04/07/2006, 11:30 AM
for juvi fish, you can, and probably should, feed 2x a day but in small amounts--basically what they can eat in a few minutes.
for adults, once a day or every 2-3 days is better. i don't see why you couldn't do a feeding at noon when the lights get on (unless you're at work) and a second feeding later in the evening (b/w 7 and 8pm).

FWIW, most fish, both SW and FW, i have kept or cared for in my tanks or during my tenure as a LFS employee can go days without eating. it took a good week before my fuzzy dwarf would eat frozen but now he comes out as soon as food hits the water.

also, do some more research and decide if you're going to do FO (fish only) or corals. you'll need different salinity/specific gravity for FO than for coral/reef tanks and obviously different lighting. read over the stickies at the top of this thread and get a better idea of your setup. it took me a few years of researching before i took the SW plunge and i learn something new every day.

tedmc2
04/07/2006, 11:59 AM
IMO, it's not the best idea to feed a community type tank only after lights out. My fish appear to go to into sleep mode when the lights go out, except for a basslett that cruises around the tank for a couple hours before disappearing for the night.

Some fish, certain wrasse and gobies, will bury themselves in the sand once it gets dark. Other wrasse will form a protective mucus covering at night. I do feed Cyclopeez at night, but that is for the corals.

As how often to feed, I feed every day. I'd recommend watching your nitrate level and nescience algae though. I feed a little at a time until they've had enough. Then a little more to settle on the bottom for the hermits and Nessarius snails.

kingzeus
04/07/2006, 01:52 PM
So if I want to feed twice a day do you think I need to adjust my light schedule accordingly? I could also feed at 6pm and 10pm or something like that.

I understand that each fish has unique feeding requirements, but I'm trying to find a balanced approach.

ho bag
04/07/2006, 02:08 PM
I feed my damsels randomly once a day, some days ill feed twice, some times i skip a day. They are healthy as cam be and are gorwing very fast. I feed a mix of marine flake and blood worms.