PDA

View Full Version : ????ss

markandkristen
04/08/2006, 03:45 AM
i have two whisper 10 filters with the tan mesh looking bio media. i am looking to set up a ten nano with around 10 lbs of live rock. i will running two of these will this work or do i need the bio wheel to make it work. i will be running the orbit usa 80 watt light. on thier looking to do some softies. i currently run the 90 gallon tank with skimmer sump and etc. was just wondering if i could also do a 5 gallon water change weekly on the 10 with the water from my 90 gallon.

markandkristen
04/08/2006, 03:50 AM
also what is the smallest power heads available. ive seen the maxi jets 400 was wondering if thats the smallest outside size

aural
04/08/2006, 05:47 AM
if you are going to be diligent with your water changes, i personally dont think you need to run a filter. Your live rock will do much of the filtration for you. Just make sure you get a decent amount of circulation going in the tank.

as far as water changes, is there a problem with using unused salt water for changes? no reason to use recycled water, and i would look at doing 2 gal/ week changes. You definitely could do 5g/week, but i've been doing 2g/week in my 12g nanocube for over a year and everything is doing great. 2g is a very managable size. all you need is a measuring cup or just a plastic cup to scoop water out, a bucket to put the water in, and your replacment water. it takes me about 5 minutes from start to finish to do a 2 gal water change every week.

as far as powerheads go, i really like the tunze mini pumps for nano use. they draw little power and are tiny so they dont take up a bunch of room in your display. the only down side is that they dont create a huge amount of flow, but if you are only planing to keep softies, this could be a good solution for you. You can pick them up here:
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=T5024.04&Category_Code=

mr pink floyd
04/08/2006, 11:05 AM
should be good...

phenom5
04/08/2006, 12:37 PM
i would agree with aural.

i wouldn't run any media in the whispers, no need to. you can keep them on there and use them for added flow, or to run GAC or something.

i also wouldn't use old water from another tank to do water changes...kind of defeats the purpose of water changes IMO.

as for PH's...the tunze mini's are good, as are microjets. microjets are small, put out a fair amount of flow, and very reliable.

markandkristen
04/08/2006, 10:35 PM
what is GAC

phenom5
04/09/2006, 04:31 AM
GAC=Granular Activated Carbon

markandkristen
04/09/2006, 03:01 PM
so if your saying use carbon isnt thats whats in the filter packs?

so dont put the tan mesh bio filter in them keep that out and

just use the cartridges. i was thinking of rinsing the cartridges out alternating each one weekly. then replacing once amonth.

Cutiewitbooty
04/09/2006, 03:34 PM
i have a couple power filters on my tank and i use the cartrages and the other white bip stuff. I wouldn't use the bio wheel though.

Newreeflady
04/09/2006, 10:26 PM
I kept a 10g with a penguin 140 filter on it. I ran carbon, but didn't leave it in because the cartridges have sponge filter which could potentially become a bacteria farm if left unchanged.

As long as you have live rock, don't worry about alternating filter pads, etc. The live rock IS your bio-filtration. I agree about the water changes, using used water would not be the best idea. And, 5g is excessive, i'd stick with 2-3g/wk.

-A

markandkristen
04/09/2006, 10:34 PM
so basically all i need is a powerhead and live rock dont even worry about a hob filter.

reefnetworth
04/09/2006, 10:34 PM
i have 3 Tunze, 106 in a five for now. use them for curing 7 lbs. Kaelini. they R rated @ 70.2gph. they are like most Tunze, large export ID not for blowing sand, circulating water volume. ialso have 1 Tunze 106 in a 3g does perfect. PA is the only site i know and they are $12.99 ea. worth every penny IMO.