PDA

View Full Version : acid ascorbic in a reef tank

sasa311
04/08/2006, 04:20 AM
Anybody tried to add acid ascorbic (vitamin C) to the tank?
I have a corallione booster formula, which contains mainly Stroncium, Ferrum, Mangan and vitamin C...

What if I only try to add acid ascorbic?:rolleye1:

MCsaxmaster
04/08/2006, 06:16 AM
Why would you?

cj

p.s. My grandmother is hungarian :)

sasa311
04/08/2006, 07:53 AM
Maybe it would enhance the corals. It protects human against cold too :D
And I have GroTech VitAmino M. It is written that it contains 21 vitamins..

ps.: Hey, great. :D Does she live here or with you? Tell her that I "csókolom a kezét". :)

MCsaxmaster
04/08/2006, 07:57 AM
Hmmm, well corals really aren't very good at absorbing dissolved substances like vitamins from the water, or at least most stonies aren't. Many soft corals are a bit better at that. It would be a lot more effective it it were in the food. Having said that, how do we even know that vit. C is even useful to corals at all? I mean, humans and corals are two very different animals indeed ;)

cj

p.s. She lives here. Actually, she was born here, though her family always spoke Hungarian when she was growing up. For instance, when she went to kindergarten (first day of school) the only English she knew was 'yes' and 'no,' or so she tells me.

louist
04/09/2006, 04:46 PM
By the way, it's actually ascorbic acid, not acid ascorbic.

If you are feeding your corals with proper and nutritious food already, I don't see why you need to supplment this.

Adam
04/13/2006, 03:16 PM
Hi all,

This has been toyed with in the past and with less than stellar results.

Ascorbic acid is an anti-oxidant and as such will drop the ORP in the tank. As a single ingredient in a food or addititve, it is probably harmless, but there is no good reason to dose it by itself.

Adam

PatrickJ
04/20/2006, 11:56 PM
cool