PDA

View Full Version : cutting custom size glass canopy (questions)

Gary Majchrzak
04/08/2006, 06:17 AM
I'm aware of the pros and cons of covering a reef aquarium and I'm strongly considering cutting some custom size glass for mine.
I have halide lighting and I don't want exposure to UV, heat and humidity to destroy the glass. What type of glass should I choose? What glass thickness? (for 24" x 24" panes to go on a 225 gallon aquarium). How can I get the edges beveled so there are no sharp corners... or is this something I should have a glass shop do?

michaelm2431
04/08/2006, 06:38 AM
It'll cost you more in tools and the glass than it would buying from a shop.

Gary Majchrzak
04/08/2006, 07:56 AM
I have the tools (except something to round the corners) and in either case I'll need to purchase the glass. :)

SkiFletch
04/08/2006, 10:30 AM
I dont know of a way to round the corners... best thing I can suggest is to cover them with something, perhaps some beveled or mitred wood or acryllic? Or perhaps an epoxy coat somehow?

As for the glass thickness, for an un-braced 24x24" pane you'd probably need at least 1/4" thick un-tempered panes or 1/8" thick tepered. If you could stand to have a cross brace underneath the center of your longest span made out of say HDPE you could go thinner.

SkiFletch
04/08/2006, 10:31 AM
Oh, just realized, you could also look for window and glass edging of appropriate thickness. I'm pretty sure you can buy molded plastic pieces that will fit over the edges of your glass

Red_Six
04/08/2006, 12:13 PM
I had a glass shop cut me a piece of glass to complete my glass canopy on my 58g. I already had a hinge and one piece of glass. The piece I had cut was 35" x 10" x 3/16". It is not tempered and is very ridged. No chance of breaking. The glass shop used a large vertical belt sander to dull the edges after they cut it. Total cost $15.40.