PDA

View Full Version : Carbon overdose?

hounddog01
04/08/2006, 03:12 PM
My question is can you overdose carbon. I was out of town on business. My wife takes care of the tank while I am gone, she does not know anything about the hobby but she can feed the fish while I am gone. I have never had a problem before but when I left I had a bag of carbon (about 1 1/2 cups) in a flow thru bag. The bag was in a lower flow area but while I was gone it moved under where the water comed into my sump. All the water coming into the tank was flowing thru the bag. Two of my SPS are now turning white and dying. They turned white starting at the base. Not all of it is dying and I hope I caught it in time. I did a 20% water change today and plan on one tomorrow.

I guess the question is would carbon cause this to happen.

Thanks for your help.

Sk8r
04/08/2006, 04:11 PM
I'd more worry that the carbon had completely charged with bad stuff and then, being left in high flow, began to discharge its load back into the water. I heard from a Culligan guy that old carbon can do that.

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/09/2006, 06:30 AM
The only short term overdosing that might happen with quality new carbon, IMO, is that it may make the water suddenly clearer, letting more light hit corals.