PDA

View Full Version : 150W DE on 29?

mr pink floyd
04/08/2006, 05:02 PM
on my 29 i plan on keeping some SPS, right now it is softies, i plan on an advanced aqualight clip on, its a 150W 14K DE halide... my tank is 18 inches deep at lowest point, will this cover all of tank, or only center, i want a green slimer, derasa (for sand) monti caps, and some lps.

in the middle, the rocks are about 9 inches down from the surface, on the sides they are about 6...

can i keep these sps?

im not worried abotu monti, ive seen those grow in 230 watts pc

i will also use 65 watts pc for actinic supplementation

mr pink floyd
04/08/2006, 05:11 PM
also, someone told me 150! wont penetrate water well, si this true?

psimitry
04/08/2006, 06:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7138818#post7138818 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mr pink floyd
on my 29 i plan on keeping some SPS, right now it is softies, i plan on an advanced aqualight clip on, its a 150W 14K DE halide... my tank is 18 inches deep at lowest point, will this cover all of tank, or only center, i want a green slimer, derasa (for sand) monti caps, and some lps.

in the middle, the rocks are about 9 inches down from the surface, on the sides they are about 6...

can i keep these sps?

im not worried abotu monti, ive seen those grow in 230 watts pc

i will also use 65 watts pc for actinic supplementation

also, someone told me 150! wont penetrate water well, si this true?

I don't know about the advanced aqualight. I have HEARD (read: not seen personally) that because they don't have a glass shield in front of the bulb, they tend to let a LOT of UV radiation into your tank/room.

However, I think that a 150W bulb would work just fine and I kept a 150W MH DE over a 29G for a while. It might be a little much for softies (excluding Xenia), but if you can create a shaded area or keep them on the extreme left or right of the tank, you should be ok.

The actinic supplementation may in fact, be unnecessary under 14K bulbs and I advise trying it out w/o the actinics a few months after you have the 14K running to see if you like it. Personally, I LOVE the way a bare 14K looks over a tank - to me it looks like very natural sunlight. I only use fluorescent supplementation at the moment because I'm (stupidly) running a 150W MH over a 48" tank while I procrastinate on installing my 4x54W T5HO system.

Whomever told you that a 150W MH bulb won't penetrate the water was dead wrong. Even more so when you're talking about DE bulbs. You'll have no problems lighting that tank w/ a 150W bulb.

mr pink floyd
04/08/2006, 09:19 PM
wow!

no UV shield???

i find that hard to believe, if tyhast the case ill get a hanging pendant, or another fixture, i dont feel liek gettting skin cancer, or a sunburn just watchign my tank!

psimitry
04/08/2006, 09:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7140336#post7140336 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mr pink floyd
wow!

no UV shield???

i find that hard to believe, if tyhast the case ill get a hanging pendant, or another fixture, i dont feel liek gettting skin cancer, or a sunburn just watchign my tank!

You might want to verify that personally if you can. Again, it's just something I've heard and it seems like a HUGE oversight on the fixture.

mr pink floyd
04/08/2006, 09:22 PM
oh also, i would use the actinics to make it day/night, so it wont go from pitchblack to daylight in a second, plus my gfixture has a moonwhite on it, and i liek the look of it at night lol, not into spending time and money gettting a moonlight and figuring out how to get it on tank (no canopy)

robsmith32
04/08/2006, 09:32 PM
I have a CUrrent sunpod 150w 14k over my 40 brdr.. Run it 4 hours, and the coralife 36" t5 salwater double strip, 10kw/03 run it 10 hours, but not when the halide is on.

I mention the sunpod as you mention moonlights. the sunpod has 6 blue and 6 moon white led's. Personally I prefer to hang from ceiling, as it allows me to acclimate corals easily.
Plus, when i look at that aqualight clip on , i' just think that is a major stresspoint its creating on the center of that rim. Plus what is to stop it from going into the water accidentaly as i've found with this hobby, MURPHY likes to hang around.

mr pink floyd
04/08/2006, 09:51 PM
im looking into this fixtrue now...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12112&ref=3969&cm_mmc=LiveAquaria_DFS_Links-_-Fish_Supplies-_-LiveAquaria_Gen_Page-_-Lighting&subref=AA&N=2004+113352

jjmg
04/08/2006, 10:04 PM
It says it has a UV sheild in the ad. I can't believe they would sell one without and open themselves to the lawsuits to come. That looks like a very nice light. I'm running a single ended 250 watt over a 29 and it has lots of light for sps. I would think a DE 150 would offer nearly the same par as my lighting. It should be a nice tank.

mr pink floyd
04/08/2006, 10:07 PM
i am worried about it falling in...

i think im gogin to byu it, saves space, easier than hanging, lie kthe 14K, it i haev any trouble, ill screw a hook into the wall, and tie some fish line to it for extra support, heck ill probably do ti anyway, i dont want a tank full of dead fish and corals and a burned down house...

wouldnt sit well with parents!

robsmith32
04/09/2006, 12:41 AM
i got the sunpod instead of aquamedic simply cause it adds 6 white + 6 blue led moonlights, for the same price
The 24" version has hanging kit and timer included.
If wasn't for the moonlights, that add up price dramatically purchased seperately. I would've went aquamedic.

mr pink floyd
04/09/2006, 07:54 AM
yea, i want to keep my fixture thats on now for lunar lights, it helps me relax at night, i can watch the shadows of fish swim by every once i na while, and it keeps my neon GSP open all night!

if i like the color, wi will in do actinic supp. and try to sell the fixture, its in fine working order!

mr pink floyd
04/09/2006, 08:58 AM
bumpskis

Jeepman3sk
04/11/2006, 12:36 PM
mr pink floyd what did you end up deciding for your MH for your 29g? Im int he same place as your are. I cant decide between 250 and 150 MH HQI for my 29g and once I figure that out which light.

Zoalander
04/11/2006, 12:45 PM
I have the coralife Hang on Tank unit and it does have a UV shield. In the directions it's also very clear that bulbs should not be ran with out it. I got the fixture about 18 months ago and have had no problems with it. It is very sturdy and I never worry about it falling in my tank.

Naperville Reef
04/11/2006, 12:56 PM
i owned the advanced aqualight and i spoke with them on the phone regarding the UV issue. i was told that the shield covering the light is designed as a splash gaurd and the bulb itself is made out of the same glass as a mogul bulb. the bulb itself is what supplies the UV protection, not the splash guard. that means you are limited to Coralife bulbs.

my biggest concern with this fixture over my 20L was the spread of the light. you will have a noticable shaded area on each end of the tank. i ended up buying a Sunlight Supply Reef Optix 3, which is what Premium Aqautics recommended based on the quality of the relector.

it will probably cost you an extra $50 but you will not have to worry about UV and you will get better light coverage in your tank.

Zoalander
04/11/2006, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the Info Naverville Reef, I was under the impression that the glass shield was the UV shield. That explains why my corals burned when I switched to the 14K Phoenix bulb.

ChickenCannoneer
04/11/2006, 07:22 PM
I own the Ocean light by aquamedic and have it over half of 120 as a frag tank light. If you deicide to get it get it from www.saltycritter.com they have the 250 watt for the same price. Good luck, Tim

psimitry
04/11/2006, 07:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7159484#post7159484 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ChickenCannoneer
I own the Ocean light by aquamedic and have it over half of 120 as a frag tank light. If you deicide to get it get it from www.saltycritter.com they have the 250 watt for the same price. Good luck, Tim

A good friend of mine was able to roast half of his corals (including SPS) by using the 250W DE Aquamedic over a 29G. I don't recommend it.

ChickenCannoneer
04/11/2006, 07:28 PM
Hmmm I moved a bunch of frags from my main tank into this tank and they all seemed to do fine. In fact my staghorn went from a lovely brown color to a beautiful baby blue. I don't know though as I don't have a 29 gallon tank I was just giving my $.02.

mr pink floyd
04/11/2006, 07:43 PM
thanks for the replies, yes, i was hoping for a shadow on the neds of the tank, for some softies!

i wont mindu using coralife bulbs, they are 54 bucks each.

im looking at the fixture right now chicken!

mr pink floyd
04/11/2006, 07:44 PM
i think im goign to stick the the coralife fixture, it will be fine on my tank.

i liek the look of it to, it is a good price