PDA

View Full Version : IO Salt Consistency?

mtbetta
04/09/2006, 09:11 AM
I just started a new bag of IO salt. I mixed it up as usual, added my usual two part formula to increase Ca and alk and waited a few days and then did a 10% water change. After the water change just about everything closed up. Star polyps and clove polyps are just starting to reopen two days later. Some acros and montis stayed closed for about 1/2 day. I mixed up another batch of it yesterday and checked alk and Ca this morning. Alk is at 5Meq and Ca is at 400ppm. If this is their new parameters great wish I knew it before I added Ca and alk. My question is if these values that I test are this inconsistent then what about things I don't test. My last bucket had 360 Ca and 3 alk. I guess I have to test the initial mix from each bag or bucket that I start. It doesn't seem likely to me that the Ca and alk would be the cause of some closed corals but what is?

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/09/2006, 12:10 PM
Lots of people use IO (myself included) and the batches are usually quite consistent. Reports of off materials more often than not are testing or salinity errors.

What salinity is this salt water? How was it measured?

reelfreak
04/09/2006, 12:17 PM
Not to hijack, but how does the IO Reef crystals, compare to the IO ?? I am about to switch over this week because of lower Ca/Alk levels in the tank (plus start the homeade 2 part)......

My IO tested about the same in the 350ppm Ca range.

Wouldn't the sudden and larger increase in Alk/Ca affect some corals? I thought you want to raise them slowly due to this?

Billybeau1
04/09/2006, 01:02 PM
RC has more calcium and mag but slightly lower alk (maybe 1 dkh differance). It seems to stay pretty consistant like IO.

To the starter of the thread - I'm with Randy, did you possibly use too much salt ? That would explain the higher readings. IO's been pretty consistent.

mtbetta
04/09/2006, 01:57 PM
refractometer, 1.026. Not a testing error because I still had some water made from the bucket and it showed my typical parameters. Even if it is a testing error the tests don't agree between the bag and the bucket. I am using the bag in my dottyback breeding tanks now so it isn't that big of a deal but I will be testing new buckets from now on. Doesn't seem to be causing any problems with the dottybacks. I just ordered a Magnesium test kit too see how that goes. I normally wouldn't do a 10% change at one time but I have been spending lots of time with the dottyback larvae. In the year and a half I have had the star polyps I have never seen them closed for more than a few hours.

Billybeau1
04/09/2006, 02:15 PM
Testing new buckets or bags of salt are a good idea these days. (Great news for the test kit companies) :D

If you've been using IO for awhile, I wouldnt be surprised to see your magnesium low. Its good your getting a test kit. Most people that use IO have to suppliment mag.

Are your corals still closed ?

stgla
04/09/2006, 02:25 PM
Not to hijack, but I have a bucket of IO that I think is to blame for my low Magnesium. I just tested some makeup water (before adding to tank) using a fresh Salifert Kit and it reads 960 ppm Mg! This explains my battle over the last couple of months with low everything (Mg, Ca, Alk) and with the massive die-off of coralline algae. I'm pretty upset about this. I have another whole bucket of this stuff in my basement.

DrBDC
04/09/2006, 02:57 PM
What ppt are you mixing to with a mag reading that low?

Billybeau1
04/09/2006, 03:44 PM
Right Doc, IO at 1.023 runs around 1030 or so. 1.020 about 970 or so. Most people that use IO know the mag is a little low and suppliment. Never checked at 1.026 as I have fish only.

mtbetta
04/09/2006, 04:11 PM
The corals are just starting to open up now. I have been doing some Mg additions according to Randy's home made formula. I know I should be testing for it but since everyone says its low I have just been going by what I have read. I contacted a few people in our local reef club and we are going to test a few buckets and bags to see how consistent it is. Even though a few occassional problems seem to come up it seems, overall, to be one of the better salts.

Billybeau1
04/09/2006, 04:51 PM
:thumbsup:

Randy Holmes-Farley
04/09/2006, 05:22 PM
The one good thing is that calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity are all easy to correct and maintain. :)

I would caution to not have excessive confidence in hobby test kits. Many people just take them at face value. I don't mean to keep repeating myself (well,maybe I do :D ) but many of the variations that folks see relate to testing difficulties.

I have seen hundreds of thread of folks complaining of some problem or other,and getting a newer or better kit often makes the problem magically go away. ;)