PDA

View Full Version : Wet Dry, Keep it or Kill it?

KMDO
04/10/2006, 12:38 AM
Im just starting back into marine aqauriums, I had a 45 gallon maybe 10 or more years ago, MH lights, decent skimmer but a undergravel filter that didnt help matters, ran maybe three years and kept the bio load very light but no chiller and 12 watts a gallon made life difficult so I shut it down. After learning a bit about live rock and sand decided to pursue this hobby once again. Because of house limits im using a smaller aqauarium than my last one but hope to add two more after this first one. A 6' 225g is my thought but much will have to happen before then. Anyway my question,

I have a 25gallon cube with filtration built in along the back in the overflow area. In the central compartment next to the actual "corner" overflow is a bio ball tower, then a third conected compartment houses return pump.

Should I get rid of the bio balls and put something else in there instead?

Ill be using live sand and live rock in the display portion, but no plenum or dsb methods purely for cosmetic reasons in this small acrylic tank.

Considering a single MH 175 pendant ontop of the hood when I get around to buying the lighting components, or some PC lights inside the acrylic hood. Depending on inhabitants.

Im fine with frequent water changes and even adding a eheim canister filter to the bottom cabinet with chem adsorption media's in it but am trying to avoid adding a bulk head and open sump if that is possible.

Reef animals still unknown, maybe fish only depending on how much water quality could be maintained with the live rock and non plenum live sand.

IF a sump was used it would be limited in size to 16"x 9.5"x12"H max dimentions, unless I cut up the black acrylic stand which id rather not do. If a refug and or skimmer would work in that space and would add enough benefit above and beyond frequent water changes that could be considered. Inside cabinet space is roughly 18x18x29 but single front opening is limited.

Fish Ive thought of housing, Chrysiptera cyanea (Blue Devil), Centropyge bispinosa (Coral Beauty), Pseudocheilinus hexataenia (Six Line Wrasse), I do also like Amblyeleotris guttata (orange spotted shrimp goby) , and Amphiprion ocellaris but am unsure about an Anemone in this size tank considering the water parameters/size/temp regulation given the setup.

None-fish, a single Tridacna crocea, and Pachyclavularia sp. Small hermits and snalils for cleaning.

Any opinions welkome, thanks