PDA

View Full Version : Powder Brown ?

mnewsome
04/10/2006, 05:42 AM
I am concerned that I may be starving my tang. I got him a few months ago from LFS. I put large algae strips in the tank everyday for him plus feed formula 2 pellets, frozen cubes (I think it's called Reef Plus, but I can't quite remember right now) and frozen brine. He just acts like he's starving by the way he eats at "dinner time." He becomes frantic and scares away the royal gamma and clowns so they don't hardly get any food. There's really not much in my tank for him to eat besides what I put in there for him. Do you think what I'm feeding is sufficient?

BTTRFLYGRL
04/10/2006, 06:05 AM
Is he skinny? I think he needs a little more variety in his diet...Frozen Mysis, Prime Reef, Marine Cuisine, Emerald Entree, Formula's One and two, Cyclopes, Spirolena....Soak food in vitamins.
Have you added anything new? Quarantine all new arrivals, PB Are ich magnets

stykthyn
04/11/2006, 01:58 AM
I am fairly fond of marine cuisine, soak it in selcon and you are good to go.

The steven liu
04/11/2006, 06:15 AM
If you see depression on its back just under the dorsal fin then your fish is starving. Most tang needs to graze and feed constantly while they are awake. If you do not have much algae in your tank for it to feed on you can maybe import some macro algae either from a LFS or a fellow reefer. I cannot guarantee they'll eat it but many accanthurus species will. I have had success recently in our store feeding macro algae to rescue a unicorn tang from starving to death.

mnewsome
04/11/2006, 07:18 AM
He doesn't look skinny or anything, but I will definitely try the marine cuisine. I'm not happy w/the variety I feed them anyway. I did buy some chaeto and put in my main tank for him to possibly eat, but I don't think he is. It's just dying and I have little clear "strings" floating around in my tank. Didn't think I could kill that stuff, but I really know nothing about it. Another ? I have is, I just bought a purple firefish yesterday and as soon as he started coming out in the open the tang just started attacking him. He nip his fins up pretty good, so now I'm waiting 'til I get home tonight to see if he's made it through the day. Is this normal behavior?

BTTRFLYGRL
04/11/2006, 10:39 AM
yes, its normal...he will leave him alone after awhile. Mine is very well behaved.