PDA

View Full Version : easy water changes?

Lyscer
04/10/2006, 08:51 AM
Anyone have a system that makes water changes a breeze? I would like some pictures or ideas on how I can do easy water changes. I'm going to be building a new sump so I can construct something better. Right now I get 4 - 5gallon buckets mix salt in each one and swap one heater from bucket to bucket until the temperature is close to that of my tank, and it SUCKS. Show me your ideas. Thanks!

Johnic
04/10/2006, 09:42 AM
I have a 45 gal rubbermaid in the basement with a RO/DI, I mix the water with salt and PH buffer a couple days before I do the change. I havea 5/8" hose running in the walls to the tanks return lines on the first floor. I syphon the tank to a drain I then turn on a pump remotely in the basement which pumps the 45gals and I'm done.
PS: Thats the chiller hanging under the stairs.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/62287Water_Change.jpg

Elmac1
04/10/2006, 08:02 PM
A Python water change system is the best $50 I ever spent. I hook it up to the sink and use it to put correct tempurature water from the tap in a rubbermaid (to mix with salt) on the floor next to the tank. Then I use the PYTHON to siphon off tank water. I use a pump with a hose on it to pump water from the rubbermaid back into the tank. I have a 92 gallon corner tank. I can pull off a water change, glass cleaning, skimmer clean out in about 30 minutes without ever lifting a bucket of water.

Lyscer
04/10/2006, 08:10 PM
very nice.

toccata
04/14/2006, 05:47 PM
I have had to find ways to reduce my water change time. I don't have a basement under the section of the house where the tank is located so this proved to be a challenge since everything has to be removed after use or live under the tank. I have the same 45 gal Rubbermaid container. I run a quick disconnect line to the container to make the new water. I use another container that is on wheels, drain the water in one container and pump it in from the other. I have to wheel over the waste water to a sink and pump it out. Takes about 30 mins to do a 45gal water change with cleaning filter pads and what not.