PDA

View Full Version : Do Acrylic Tanks Really Need a Solid Bottom?

HowardW
04/10/2006, 10:32 AM
I bought a ClarityPlus 55 gal. acrylic tank and the standard Oceanic pine stand a few years back and I remember the instructions for the tank saying it should be supported by a solid bottom. The pine stand however just has the usual outline and is hollow in the center, and I've been using it for freshwater without any problems or bowing.

Now that I want to convert it to saltwater with a DSB should I get a big piece of plywood or oak to put between the tank and stand so the tank sits on a solid piece of wood?

smleee
04/10/2006, 10:40 AM
Yes, acrylic tanks need to be fully supported on the bottom. Currently using a 1/2" or 3/4" (can't remember) sheet of plywood. I didn't know about the starboard that people also use at the time, so I just have the plywood. You may also want to waterproof/seal it.

eee

Ti
04/10/2006, 10:42 AM
Yes you need a solid bottom, acrylic Bows

HowardW
04/10/2006, 10:43 AM
Ok thanks......so I have just been lucky so far that my tank hasn't bowed?

viggen
04/10/2006, 03:27 PM
due to the tank being the size it is the bowing will be a lot less/ harder to notice however it definantly is bowing & is adding stress to the tank. I have seen several Tenecor tanks with Tenecor stand not have any support on the bottom....SCARY :) I would add a solid piece of wood to the underside of the tank & also be sure to add foam between the wood & the tank so the acrylic isn't sitting on the wood.

HowardW
04/10/2006, 03:30 PM
What type of foam.....a soft squishy or styrofoam, and how thick?

Could I also use that rubber mesh stuff used for lining cabinets?

viggen
04/10/2006, 08:50 PM
you can go to lowes, home depot, etc & get a sheet of the blue 3/8 or 1/2 in foam. I forget what it's called but you will see it when you are there.

If you do not put the tank on this type of foam any unever piece of wood could cause more stress to the tank, probably more then not haveing anything under there :)

No, I wouldn't use that stuff because it's not flat & doesn't support 100% of the bottom :)

azreefer
04/13/2006, 01:25 PM
All Tenecor stands have solid bases...always have. In fact, it voids the warranty if you don't support the tank with a solid base.

Brian