PDA

View Full Version : SPS recommendations

Giovanni
04/10/2006, 01:28 PM
I have a well established reef tank. I keep mostly soft and LPS. I am wanting to add some SPS and would like your recommendation for a beginners SPS. I have strong flow (about 450gph alternating every 20sec in a 30cube) and 150watt MH 20K light. I have a nice spot up top directly under the light in the highest flow area ready. I dose B-Ionic with a dosing pump continuously. The LPS show good growth as does everything in the tank. What recommendations with regard to type of SPS and setup changes would the experts here make?

duec22
04/10/2006, 02:00 PM
Start with montipora. You can try either digi or caps. Both are pretty easy to keep.

MiddletonMark
04/10/2006, 02:02 PM
I too would start with Montipora, probably a frag. Digitata, cap ... I would skip the encrusting ones, which I've found a little more touchy [depending] than the nearly always very hardy plating/branching forms.

Pocillapora I've also found to be a good hardy starter `sps'.

Perhaps a reefer-grown Acropora frag too ... maybe a staghorn, millepora, or another hardy variety.

Giovanni
04/10/2006, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the pointers. I see a lot of SPS keeper discussing 10K bulbs. Will I need to ditch the 20K bulb at some point?

Giovanni
04/10/2006, 02:22 PM
Also, I am in west KY and my LFS does not carry SPS. Can someone recommend a good place to aquire SPS that is close, or even by shipping?

MiddletonMark
04/10/2006, 02:29 PM
Perhaps. Many run with 10k for the higher output, but people often focus on overlighting corals vs. water quality [which I would focus more on].

But on a smaller tank, with good water quality - you should probably do ok.

Giovanni
04/10/2006, 02:39 PM
My LFS says he can get me some Acropora and that is it. He says it is listed as small and fancy not a frag for $45 bucks. Is this high and is acro harder to keep?

duec22
04/10/2006, 03:39 PM
For a small acro colony $45 is a pretty fair price, as long as it's not brown. Take a look at the club forums and see if you have a club that is close to you. I joined our local reef club just over a year ago, and since that time I've aquired the majority of my coral though other members. The good part about this is, you get a coral that has already proven it self in captive conditions, and typically you get a great price on them.