PDA

View Full Version : Colt Coral frags...how to attach properly

Chaloupa
04/10/2006, 06:29 PM
I have several colt coral frags that I got from a local reefer that aren't mounted...what is the best way to mount them to rock? Thanks in advance for looking and for your answers! Sarah

gflat65
04/10/2006, 08:38 PM
One way is to stick a toothpick through them near the bottom of the stalk (~1" from the bottom, depending on frag size). Then use a rubberband to loop around a rock and loop it over the ends of the toothpick. That will snug the toothpick/frag down to the rock and it will attach in a few days. Don't get it too tight, or it will cut through the stalk. Too loose and the frag will not stick very well. Another way is to wedge it between two small rocks and let it attach by itself. HTH

roktsintst
04/10/2006, 10:28 PM
I got a good size piece from my LFS and it wasnt doing to good. then i cut it in half and took the new piece and stuck it in a little crevice in a larger rock. the next day both pieces were bigger than the first and both looked great. but be careful. i tried it a again a few days later and put the new piece in a different spot and never saw it again. also heard to use fishing wire to attach it to a piece of rock rubble! good luck!

David Grigor
04/11/2006, 11:01 AM
Similiar to the toothpick method. I use a needle and thread to go through the based and wrap it around the rock. Again, should be just tight enough so it will touch the rock. Too tight and it will cut through the coral.

Depending on the rock and the shape of the soft coral. If you have a Y in the coral I just use a rubberband and try to set the base in a crevice of the rubble rock I am attaching too. Again, can't be too tight.

reefbro
04/12/2006, 07:42 PM
I also use needle but with fishing line, works great.

ADA33
04/13/2006, 07:59 PM
I use super glue and it works great

JmLee
04/15/2006, 10:55 PM
i second the needle, some times i use thumb tacks if i have too.

Chaloupa
04/16/2006, 12:54 AM
Have sewn on with fishing line...so far looking good! All have polyps extending so musn't have been too rough with them! Thanks so much for the advice!

omeg
04/16/2006, 01:08 AM
I've tried the rubberband, needle and fishing line, rocks, etc. with not much success (I think because I had strong current as well), these guys secrete soo much slime, I don't see how super glue will work (I haven't use this yet).

Somewhere I read that putting them in a container (i'm using a cut up sparkletts water bottle) with rock rubble and I'm using this method now, it's a lot easier and seems to be working (meaning the pieces haven't float around the tank yet! :) )