PDA

View Full Version : sump questions

vonburch
04/10/2006, 07:46 PM
I currently have a 55 gal saltwater reef aquarium and I am interested in a sump setup. Currently I have a protien skimmer(cora life 220) and It's way to big and ugly for hang on plus I would like to move a few other items in my tank to the sump but need more info on what is need to construct or just by one. What type of return pump do I need. I would like to drill holes in the wall and place it in another room. My tank is not drilled on the bottom so is it possible to set up a sump?

mfinn
04/10/2006, 08:08 PM
You will need to get a hang-on -back overflow. I take it you haven't bought anything yet. I would get the absolute biggest container you can afford to use as a sump. Many people try to add a sump by using a small 10 or 15 gallon container and you just always have problem. The biggest is evaporation.
The pump you will get depends on what the overflow you get will handle. Get the overflow first. Don't try and match the flow of the pump with what the overflow will handle. Get a pump that can't pump more than 3/4 of what the overflow will handle.
I use internal pumps and I use external pumps. Both are good.
On your first sump setup, I would suggest a internal pump.

vonburch
04/10/2006, 08:15 PM
Hey thanks for the help. Would you buy a premade sump. I don't think I'm crafty enough to build one on my own. Who makes a good one and what size would you recommend for my 55 gal. What do you think of this over flow box 300 gal per hour?CPR CS50 Overflow Box

mfinn
04/10/2006, 08:26 PM
IMO, I would get a bigger overflow for your tank. Look at the space you have for your sump and get the biggest container you can. Use the sump for a place for the equipment and consider using part of it for a refugium.
Generally the premade sumps are just too expensive for my tastes. Look on different boards that have members in your area, local fish clubs. Somebody is always selling a sump.
Reconsider making one yourself.
My first sump in 1989 was a wood box lined with 1/4" glass.
Very crude but effective. There are alot of people using rubbermaid storage boxes for sumps. craigslist always has used fish tanks for dirt cheap.

Fast Fred
04/10/2006, 09:26 PM
If you can use a razor knife and silicone, you can build your own. It's easy. Just ask specific questions here on RC and we can guide you. Also, look here:

http://www.melevsreef.com/

AZDesertRat
04/10/2006, 10:24 PM
A glass 30 G long aquarium work great for my sump. I made baffles out of 1/4" acrylic from Lowes and even added a small refugium on one end filled with chaeto and rubble.