PDA

View Full Version : refugium help

Reeling Reefer
04/11/2006, 08:44 AM
I dont have any room in my sump for a refugium section and was wondering if one can be rigged up out of a plastic bucket or tub? My sump is glass and I dont want to try and drill it. Can a powerhead or pump be put into sump filling water up into this bucket or container and then another one sending water back? Or is there any better ideas? There really isn't room for a hang on back type refugium.

jamal-188
04/11/2006, 08:50 AM
You cannot have one pump pumping water in and one pumping water out...that is an accident waiting to happen!! Even if you use the exact same pump over time they will get out of sinc you'll wind up with a huge mess!!

I would suggest to use a pump to get the water to the fuge, then have it gravity feed back into the sump. You can use plastic containers and just cut a hole, insert bulk head, and PVC for a return to the sump.

Reeling Reefer
04/11/2006, 08:54 AM
Thats a good idea, how should I do that gravity feed overflow with the height of the refugium and the sump being about the same , both underneath in the stand?

jamal-188
04/11/2006, 09:00 AM
The drain on the refugium will have to be a little higher than the water level in your sump. This usually works out ok because your fuge would be 90% full and most sumps are 50-75% full.

Reeling Reefer
04/11/2006, 09:06 AM
How do I get it (RETURN WATER)up and over the edge of the sump? If I get the refugium container taller then the sump, I will have no room for a light.

mille239
04/11/2006, 09:17 AM
Depending on your set up, you could place the refugium bucket beside the tank/stand (if aesthetics are not an issue. The output of the refugium (i.e. fuge water level) needs only be slightly higher than the top of the sump, and you would drill the bucket for the bulkhead drain back to the sump near the top. This way the majority of the refugium can be around the same level as the sump, you do not need the entire bucket above the sump water level. alternatively, you could have the refugium above the display tank, feed by a powerhead in the tank, and draining back into the tank.
If neither of these ideas appeal to you, many hang-on refugiums are available which can hang on the back of the display tank, or even the sump. The fuge bucket/container does not need to be large; even a few gallons will benifit the system with pod production and algae grow out.

Reeling Reefer
04/11/2006, 09:55 AM
I have a oceanic 180 gallon tank and the center brace takes up a good bit of room, is there a hang on back refugium that would fit having the intake and the overflow positioned where one would be on one side of the center brace and the other would be on the other side?

mille239
04/11/2006, 10:04 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7708001002&category=20758#ebayphotohosting

Reeling Reefer
04/11/2006, 10:18 AM
Thanks!!!